Pinhole leak in Corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a corny keg with a tiny pin hole in it. It doesn't leak until I add pressure to the keg. Need some ideas for repairing. I know those are super thin. Would it need a pretty talented welder to repair? Would a bit of silver solder hold the pressure, if JB weld a food safe option (seems to go back and forth) but it's the tiniest area possible.

Looking for some suggestions to get this to hold pressure again.

dont pressure test around werewolves the silver solder might fly out and kill them....

Any half-competent welder could TIG that easily, as long as it's not real close to anything critical.

But Silver Solder would be fine too. Make sure you wash it well when you are done.

i went by the recomendation of several people on this board and used jb weld. i have used it on a few of my kegs. it works fine and i'm not dead

i went by the recomendation of several people on this board and used jb weld. i have used it on a few of my kegs. it works fine and i'm not dead

I have some of that at home. I have seen people say it's fine, but then have also seen where JB Weld themselves says, NOT FOOD SAFE. so....I'm sure you're not dead yet, but there's all kinds of people who "mysteriously" get cancer and other diseases when they're older. I'd like to not be one of them, especially from something like that.

I have some of that at home. I have seen people say it's fine, but then have also seen where JB Weld themselves says, NOT FOOD SAFE. so....I'm sure you're not dead yet, but there's all kinds of people who "mysteriously" get cancer and other diseases when they're older. I'd like to not be one of them, especially from something like that.

FYI.

JB Water Weld is NSF certified for potable water systems. Of course, pH is different in beer.

well...i dont want cancer either. i might not use this keg any more, but it is on the top and may actually never come in contact with my beer

FYI.

JB Water Weld is NSF certified for potable water systems. Of course, pH is different in beer.

Thanks for the tip Gila. I saw you responded and thought, "Damnit! I cannot start a thread in this place without it turning into a bathroom stall at the Taproom withing 5 posts!"

MSDS sheets are about worthless! Phone calls are much easier

DAMMIT! For the last time! I ain't answerin'!

Calling JB is worthless too. If they tell you what they told me the reponse will be, "blah, blah, blah nothing toxic in the formulation of JB once cured, blah, blah, blah given market application there is no forseeing appying for FDA labeling, blah, blah, blah"

And the evidence that I have personally witnessed proves that alcohol is one HELL of a solvent, and from some things, extracts compounds and chemicals that I never would never have expected.

ERR ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION.

Not to the point of being ridiculous, but food safe is one of my hard and fast rules.

well...i dont want cancer either. i might not use this keg any more, but it is on the top and may actually never come in contact with my beer
Yeah it if was on the top I wouldn't worry, but it's about 1/4 of the way down the side. Definite contact. I noticed it by getting shot in the eye when putting gas on a freshly racked keg.

And the evidence that I have personally witnessed proves that alcohol is one HELL of a solvent, and from some things, extracts compounds and chemicals that I never would never have expected.

ERR ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION.

Not to the point of being ridiculous, but food safe is one of my hard and fast rules.
I think I'll just stick with the silver solder.

Back