Piney taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerrysfinger

Reaction score
My first brew was an extract Simcoe IPA. Four oz of hops 1/2oz at sign of boil, 20 min after another 1/2 oz, 20 min remianing 1oz and 2 min left to till flame out 1oz.

It has been in the bottle almost a month. It has a piney taste to it. Just wondering if it is the Simcoe hop flavor or maybe something else.

I have no problem drinking it, just curious.

Its not bad, just not farmiliar with this flavor. This is my first batch and since I had 36 bottles to begin with and my impatience, I have under a case left. I have no will power to wait but, I have Brown Ale to focus on now.

I'm sure the last one will taste the best as they say.

I like a bit of resin in my IPA. But if you don't like it, you could probably wait 6 months and it will lessen a bit.

Lucky I still have any left. I can't imagine waiting 6 months. I wasn't farmiliar with Simcoe before I brewed this. I do like it though. Almost wish I could blend this with the Pale Ale I'm getting ready to keg. It has a bland taste to it from the samples I've tried. Its been in the secondary for two weeks now, maybe I could add hops in and dry hop for another week to give it some taste.

Simcoe blends well with citrusy hops like Amarillo and Summit. I just made an IPA with Simcoe, Summit and Centennial type (a Cascade/Columbus blend) that turned out great. Next time you brew with Simcoe, use some other American type hops as well to give your brew some balance.

As far as your pale ale is concerned, get an ounce or two of whatever you used for flavor/aroma and throw it in secondary for a week. It will give your beer only a slight boost in flavor, but a ton of hop aroma.

Lucky I still have any left. I can't imagine waiting 6 months.

So worth the wait. I believe brews show themselves after 3 weeks in the bottle, are great at a month, and perfect at 5.5-6. You can really see how the flavor progresses if you sample one every week from start to finish, those 6 will show you more than you could imagine.

Back