Pineapple Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Did you de-gas during any of your pre-bottling process? I made a pineapple a few years ago, ended up dumping out 25 bottles after aging it over a year.

I didn't know about de-gassing at that time, so I'm wondering if that was my mistake.

Pineapple wine is extremely smelly stuff. I dumped out some bottles of it too. It produces lots of h2s gas and this is the main problem with it. It just doesn't ferment like grape juice does. If I make it again I'm going to use a yeast with low temperature tolerance and ferment as cold as I possibly can...that's if I even spend the money to try it again. I know some people are successful..

I've never had a problem with pineapple. What yeast did you use? What ABV were you aiming for and at what temperature did you ferment the must? Most fruits are not sufficiently nutrient rich when it comes to keeping the yeast happy. Did you provide additional nutrient (Fermaid O or K?). Daily stirring to incorporate air and remove CO2 is also standard practice - or should be

When I made it I used yeast nutrient and yes did stir it. My OG may have been too high...I think it was at like 12% or so...I think I used k meta pre fermentation...the juice I used I believe was pasteurized. I think my ferment temp was too high...Cant remember what yeast I used. What did you use?

Do you have any special concerns about acid content when you ferment a pineapple wine? My go to yeast would be a Cote de Blanc.

I would like to give it another try sometime. I have a couple 1 gallon carboys...maybe I will try it again as a small batch and see if I can get good results. I don't have any way to control fermentation temperature other than using an ice bath. Acid content is one of the main concerns...it tends to have lots o citric acid...back sweetening a touch could take care of that a bit though.

My attempt at pineapple was a bit of a cheat - I used frozen concentrate (which could have caused its own set of problems), and I didn't know much about de-gassing at the time.

Since then, anytime I've had wine start to get smelly, a few days of de-gassing has eliminated the issue.

I tried to degass mine but if you don't take care of the gas fairly quickly it bonds with the liquid and then its near impossible to get out.

Back