Pineapple, pectinase, pH, possible problems post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning a pineapple Berliner weisse, a 2.5-gallon batch with:
1 lb. Pilsner
1 lb. white wheat
0.8 lb. pineapple concentrate (60 Brix)
2 g BRU-1 LUPOMAX (18% AA) @ 15 minutes
8 g BRU-1 LUPOMAX hopstand 10 minutes @ 160 F
Lallemand Koln
5 g pectic enzyme

For my fruit beers, I've had good success adding fruit concentrate at the same time I'm doing a hopstand. Pineapple is really acidic (this is a feature, not a bug, when making a weisse), so my first question is whether I'm going to kill or stress or otherwise impair my yeast by dropping the pH too low before fermentation starts. Does anyone have any relevant experience with this?

My second question is pectic enzyme, which I also don't have experience with. I'm adding it to keep the beer from becoming a cloudy mess. Is this the right dose (~2 g per gallon of beer) to go into the fermenter?

@AlexKay I used Dole Pineapple juice in a Sculpin Pineapple clone I brewed one year. Fermenting the sugar out of pineapple leaves you with a very bitter taste. For that reason, in a secondary, I added the juice to the beer post-fermentation after adding potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate to prevent the sugars from being fermented.

Last edited:
I haven't added pineapple to a hopstand, but I have added it in secondary, following kettle souring and Sacch yeast fermentation. No issues at all fermenting out the pineapple sugars. And no need for pectic enzyme, at least for me. I don't know if adding to hot wort is going to cause pectins to set in the time that it's still hot, but I suppose it might.

Regarding pH, yes pineapple has a low pH compared to most fruits, but I don't think it has a particularly strong buffering capacity. My sours fruited with pineapple finish no lower than my sours with raspberries or other fruits, or if there's a difference, it's small and hidden in the noise. (The reason pineapple "burns" your mouth when you eat it isn't really its acidity, but rather an enzyme that is breaking down proteins in your mouth.)

ETA: I got curious and looked up pineapple pectin content. Consensus is that it has little or no pectin. I wouldn't worry about haze.

Last edited:
Back