Pineapple Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffh97

Reaction score
Got some pretty positive feedback on this one at a homebrew club meeting and thought I would share.

This was for a 5.25 gal batch.
Ingredients:
9 lbs 2-Row
1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L
.5 lbs Cara-Pils
.5 lbs Crystal 80L

Hop Schedule:
.5 oz Simcoe (60 Min)
.5 oz Simcoe (15 Min)
.5 oz Simcoe (5 Min)
.5 oz Simcoe (0 Min)

Yeast
1 Pack of US-05

Mash:
Mash low around 150 F to make up for the unfermented sugars from the pineapple.

Fermentation:
Wort was in the primary for 3 weeks.

Pineapple:
The pineapples used came from a Farmer's Market. I used 2 full pineapples( minus a few chunks that were too damn tasty not to eat). After purchasing I let the pineapples sit on my counter for a few days. Before cutting them up they became very fragrant. I cut them into chunks and threw them in a blender one pineapple at a time. Once all the puree was obtained I heated on a stove to 160 F for 15 minutes. Then I put all the contents into a foodsaver bag and sealed it up and threw it in the freezer.

Adding the Pineapple:
I decided to add the pineapple straight to the keg. I pulled the pineapple out of the freezer and let it thaw for about an hour to where it was workable enough to put in a straining bag. Make sure to sanitize the bag and pour the puree into the bag inside the keg. Plenty of juices will be present you don't want to waste. Once in the keg rack the beer from the fermenter straight into the keg on top of the pineapple bag. Place keg in kegerator immediately to reduce the amount of fermentation of the pineapple sugars.

I think the next time I brew this recipe I will try a FWH instead of the 60 min.

Back