Pineapple IPA issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kricks111

Reaction score
I going to try to brew a Pineapple IPA, but I would like it to be a New England style "Juicy IPA". I have added large amounts of wheat and a lb of flaked oats to the grain bill and I have a yeast strain that is less flocculant and should leave plenty of haziness to the beer. I am using a Cl/SO4 ratio of about 1.25/1. No hops in the boil, but adding citra hops to the whirlpool and secondary. I wanted to add pineapple to this without fermenting too much of the pineapple sweetness and with the yeast strain I am using (Wyeast London Ale III 1318) I would think adding it to secondary will ferment all of my pineapple sugars. what are my other options?
Can I add this during a cold crash, or would that settle the yeast out of my suspension as well?
Can I add concentrate in secondary or at kegging?
Has anyone else done something like this?

if you have no intention of bottling it out for comps or letting it sit above serving temps I would Imagine that adding juice or fruit in a bag to the keg should remain relatively un fermented.

Ive not done potassium sorbate in a beer but I use it to back sweeten cider. That may be an option too.

If its just sitting in a keg and you are going to consume it in a reasonable time table then I would just toss it in before carbonating.

I ordered sugar free pineapple syrup. I'm thinking I will add this at kegging. I'm going to taste it first, but I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm not bottling, def kegging. It only took 1-2 batches before I realized bottle conditioning beer sucks.

Back