pineapple Indian Pale Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elburrogrande

Reaction score
Feel like exploring a bit in my next batch here is what I have in mind...

5.5 Gallon Batch

IBU 33
OG 1.059
FG 1.002
ABV 7.5%

Grains
12lbs Pilsner
1lb white wheat
.75lbs acid malt

Hops
1oz East kent Golding 60minutes
1oz Galaxy whirlpool 20minutes
2oz Lemon Drop whirlpool 20 minutes

1oz Galaxy dry hop on day 3
2oz Lemon Drop dry hop on day 3

2oz Galaxy dry hop on day 11
1oz Lemon Drop dry hop on day 11

Yeast
3711 French saison

I plan to keg on day 14 along with 2 cans of 100% pineapple concentrate. Which thinking about it will bump my FG up a few points.

A few questions... First, I am in uncharted waters. Any problems with what I am creating? also thinking about switching the golding for .5oz of CTZ at 30 minutes.

That pineapple concentrate will most likely kick off a secondary fermentation in the keg. You may just want to add it to a secondary fermenter (or primary) so that you don't get a bnch of pulp and yeast in your keg.

That pineapple concentrate will most likely kick off a secondary fermentation in the keg. You may just want to add it to a secondary fermenter (or primary) so that you don't get a bnch of pulp and yeast in your keg.

Ive used this technique before when making cider without any problems. My theory is the yeast stay dormant at cold temperatures. Alternatively I could try killing the yeast since ill be kegging anyways.

brewed this Monday. This was the final recipe

5.5 Gallon Batch

IBU 33
OG 1.051
estimated FG 1.002
estimated ABV 6.4%

Grains
8lbs 12oz Pilsner
1lb 4oz white wheat
.75lbs Vienna
.75lbs flaked wheat
.75lbs acid malt

Hops
.4oz exp7270 45minutes
1oz Amarillo flameout
1oz Galaxy whirlpool 20minutes
2oz Lemon Drop whirlpool 20 minutes

1oz Galaxy dry hop on day 3
2oz Lemon Drop dry hop on day 3

2oz Galaxy dry hop on day 11
1oz Lemon Drop dry hop on day 11

Yeast
3711 French saison

I like the idea. In my experience in making hoppy saisons with 3711, you need to use a LOT of hops to get past the saison flavors. I recently made one with 4oz of Simcoe/Equinox (two pretty pungent hops) at flame out and another 4oz in the dry hop. You really can't even smell them, kinda disappointing. It looks like you are using more hops so I hope yours come through more

Ended up using 1 can of pineapple concentrate and adding 5g table salt to boil. FG was 1.005. Came out delicious like a Belgian ne ipa. Only a slight hint of pineapple and no salt detected at all

20170302_170549.jpg

Back