Pineapple in Cider *Help*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussiebrew

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Long time reader first time poster.

Late last year I made a Apple and Blackcurrant cider and it turned out as flat as a tack - like cordial. No idea why?

This time i am keen on brewing a pineapple cider.

I have heard that this is extremely difficult due to the acidic levels int he pineapples.

Can anyone please suggest the best way to go about the pineapple cider and what I can do to make a taste cider for the missus.

Thanks in advance guys and look forward to browsing the threads and learning alot from you all and improving my brewing techniques!

:mug:

The first thing that comes to mind is to make a cider and then add pineapple flavoring at the very end. Start with a measured sample, say 100ml and add drops of the extract until you get the flavor profile you want. You'd have to get several samples lined up because once you tasted it the measured amount would change. When you figure how many drops gives you the taste you like you'll have to do some multiplication to figure how much to add to your batch.
If you want to combine apple and pineapple juice and ferment that, the acidity of the pineapple shouldn't be an issue, its about the same as apple juice. I've never tried to use pineapple in any cider, but I've found that the fermenting process takes much of the fruit flavor out of the final product, that's why it may be better to just add the flavor back at the end.

There are yeasts that can handle a harsher environment such as Lalvin 1118. This yeast has a higher tolerance to alcohol and will ferment the cider dry. I usually use SO4 yeast for my ciders. For some added insurance start your pineapple cider on a previous cider yeast cake.

You mentioned that your blackcurrant cider was flat. If you meant flat as in flavor, primary fermentation will strip a lot of the fruit flavor away which is why I usually put fruit in the secondary. This will restart fermentation but more of the flavor will be left behind.

Back