Pineapple Cider and Latex allergy. HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RolandD

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, just kegged a batch of Pineapple Cider:

5.25 Gallons Great Value Apple Juice
1 Gallon Great Value Pineapple Juice
2.5 Tbs Yeast Nutrient
1 Tbs Yeast Energizer
1 tsp Wine Tannin
1 Packet Lalvin D-47
2 Cans Frozen Pineapple Juice Concentrate (for sweetening)
2 Cans Frozen Apple Juice Concentrate (for sweetening)

Turned out ok, taste is a little weird with lots of sulfur, but that's not the issue. My daughter and I are having allergic reactions to it. The two nights I've had some, my torso and upper extremities have itched like mad. My daughter had a two ounce sample and her lips and throat began to swell along with other symptoms she is familiar with. We both have an allergy to latex, mine is mild, her's is severe. She learned how severe when she spent her first day of nursing school in the ER after, inadvertently, donning a pair of latex gloves.

I was going to serve this Thursday at a small get together, but now I don't know. Should I pitch it? Serve it with a warning or disclaimer? What should I do?

Found this in Wikipedia (note I have zero medical training)

Latex-fruit syndrome
People who have latex allergy also may have or develop an allergic response to some plants and/or products of these plants such as fruits. This is known as the latex-fruit syndrome.[13] Fruits (and seeds) involved in this syndrome include banana, pineapple, avocado, chestnut, kiwifruit, mango, passionfruit, fig, strawberry, papaya, apple, melon, celery, potato, tomato, carrot, and soy. The proteins in these are similar to the protein in latex. Hevein-like protein domains [14] are a possible cause for allergen cross-reactivity between latex and banana[15] or fruits in general.[16]

I went there as well. I knew about bananas and avacodos. I probably knew about pineapples, as well, but had never experienced a reaction, so discarded the information. Now I'm worried about apples, potatoes, tomatoes, and carrots. I hope that list is in order of sensitivity. I don't know if I can live without potatoes in my diet.

This might also be an allergy to the sulphites. Maybe you added (too much) of them, or your fermentation was anomalous and created many of them, as you noticed by the weird smell of sulfur.

Was this your first pineapple cider?
Was there anything different in this fermentation than in the others? Maybe, a low temperature stressed the yeast and led to a high production of sulphites. Going by memory, yeast nutrients (and yeast "energizers" maybe) if used in excess can stress the yeast as well.

This might also be an allergy to the sulphites. Maybe you added (too much) of them, or your fermentation was anomalous and created many of them, as you noticed by the weird smell of sulfur.

Was this your first pineapple cider?
Was there anything different in this fermentation than in the others? Maybe, a low temperature stressed the yeast and led to a high production of sulphites. Going by memory, yeast nutrients (and yeast "energizers" maybe) if used in excess can stress the yeast as well.

Could be, but I doubt it was sulphites. I document my process pretty well. It is my first pineapple cider, but my first cider, from a kit, had more sulphites after fermentation and caused no problems. The weird taste is unrelated to the sulphur content, my wife thinks the taste is great, but doesn't want to try more than a taste because her latex allergy is worse than mine. My best cider, so far, I accidentally tripled the nutrients, so I don't see that being an issue either.

I am confident that it is directly connected to our latex allergy. The odds of us having an allergic reaction to an unknown allergen at the level consistent with a known allergen, is very small.

My main concern is whether to pitch it or serve it.

Last edited:
Back