Pine Nuts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy_84

Reaction score
I have grain for a small batch of amber ale. Nothing crazy just a simple small batch recipe (1 gallon). Well since the holidays are coming up my wife started buying everything to make the thanksgiving and Christmas treats. Well apparently she grabbed a bag of pine nuts by accident. So since she doesn't use them in anything she bakes I have taken the liberty of adding them into my small batch Amber when I brew it this weekend. I've done a pecan porter before but I've never seen a beer made with pine nuts. So my question is has anyone attempted or heard of anyone using pine nuts in any style of beer. Note: these are raw unsalted pine nuts. I plan on toasting them before using them.

I used pecans recently. Toasted them and crushed them in a few paper bags to remove some of the oils which can give head retention issues. I added them like a dry hop. Delicious

Never heard of pine nuts in beer.
I have heard that pine nuts temporarily alter the perception of your taste buds, increasing perception of bitterness.
Not sure if that would translate into greater than expected bitterness in the beer itself or even if the alleged perception altering property is correct. Just a factoid I heard someplace.

TD

I guess I could eat a hand full then wash it down with a pint a pint of Amber ale I already have. I've had pine nut bread before it was pretty good . The good news is it's a small 1 gallon batch I'd just have to suffer through only a few of them lol.

Back