Pin Lock Socket Substitutes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewawan

Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas for a substitute if I don't own a pin lock socket? I don't want to order online and continue to wait for shipping. Also, does anyone have an idea for a Haier tower that has a serving line for a bigger tube when I'm using a 3/16" serving line? I have a welding shop in town I was going to stop by tomorrow to see if they had any solutions. Thanks!!

I just made a socket for my pin locks today. All you need is a 6 point 13/16" spark plug socket and a rotary tool (dremel) with a grinding disc. Set socket over pins and mark on outside of socket where the pins are. Grind out wide enough for pins and about 3/8" deep into socket. The pins will be in the corners of socket. Super super easy took 10 minutes and a $1 socket from advanced.

With Finesse...

adjustable-wrench--18-in..jpg

It's all I need. Just be careful with the pins. You can work it from the top and through the handle hole on the side, depending on how the post is oriented.

I just made a socket for my pin locks today. All you need is a 6 point 13/16" spark plug socket and a rotary tool (dremel) with a grinding disc. Set socket over pins and mark on outside of socket where the pins are. Grind out wide enough for pins and about 3/8" deep into socket. The pins will be in the corners of socket. Super super easy took 10 minutes and a $1 socket from advanced.

+1 on this... Made both gas and liquid sockets for my stuff..

How wide do the slots need to be to accommodate the pins? I'm about to make one myself.

Take the socket, sit it on the post and mark with a sharpie... You should catch the edges with the socket.... No need for super exact measuring...

+1 on the socket build -- I cut both gas and liquid pins into the same socket ... 10 mins & $1 and it works great.. No more fooling with wrenches and pliers !!

I can confirm that vise grips, or a channel-lock wrench, below the pins work just fine. Bang the wrench with a mallet if you need it to move. If there isn't enough space for access, cut away some of the rubber collar--I'm glad I did that anyway to allow for more play in the lines in my tightly-packed kegerator.

I was able to weasel an open ended wrench below the pins on mine. Just went through the handle opening.

very important that you get socket to catch on the nut head prior to marking. If not will be a bad fit and possibly (I guess not work) I didn't and my slots quite messy but work. I also made both wrenches on one socket using a common slot (neatest one!) 2nd wrench was nice fit after finding out about had to fit nut head!

Back