Pin lock o-rings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dataz722

Reaction score
I have searched but gave up after 20 minutes.... i know its been asked before so im sorry. But do ball lock and pin lock use the same o-rings?

Also, has anyone figured a way to get the post off the pin-lock without the special socket and without messing them up? Thanks

You can get an open end of a wrench on the flats of both posts if you angle it upwards.

The orings are close enough to work on both although the #111 is a tiny bit too small for pinlocks. It stretches to the point where the OD isn't quite right. I've had leaks. #112 isn't ideal either because it's a little loose, but once you put the QD on, it seals nicely. I have had luck with #111 in silicone though.

Also, has anyone figured a way to get the post off the pin-lock without the special socket and without messing them up?
Be warned that even using a special socket they can be messed up (extreme case though). I was trying to recondition some used kegs. Some of the posts were too tight for an open-end wrench so I made a slotted socket. The posts were on so stinking tight I ended up using a hammer to pound the handle of my socket wrench repeatedly!! After MANY (full swing) strikes with the hammer, the post finally broke loose. After I managed to get it out of the socket, I noticed that 2 of the pins were broke off. It was a liquid side so there was still one pin left to hold the disconnect on. I almost wished I was using the hammer on the fool that tightened the posts on in the first place! O-rings make the seal, not excessive tightening. :mad:

Back