Pin lock corny - first time brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumbeaux

Reaction score
I am a brand new beginner at home brewing (actually did first boil last night). I was given a lot of equipment a few years ago and it has been sitting in my attic.
I want to keg my first batch but need to get everything in line before that time comes…
I have 4 pinlock corny kegs. There is no pressure release on the lids. I was told by someone I needed to purchase new lids (is this necessary?) and gaskets. I realize I need to disassemble and sanitize everything. Do I need to pressure test the kegs? How would I go about that? I have also seen quite a few pin lock to ball lock converters. Would I want to do this and why?
Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

No need to convert if the size of the kegs work with your refrigerator. Since the kegs have been stored for a while, I would recommend changing out the seals, which consists of two post O-rings, two dip-tube O-rings, and one lid o-ring. Apply food safe lube to the O-rings as you replace them. A good cleaning of all the internals of the kegs would also be in order. No reason to replace the lids, de-pressurizing and/or "purging" can be accomplished by depressing the gas-in poppet. After changing out the seals, a pressure/leak test with about 30psi would be a good idea.

"Gumbeaux"? Deep South?

Welcome to the hobby!

You don't need to get new lids with Pressure Release Valves (PRV); to purge your keg to let out air and excess Co2 pressure, you can simply use a screwdriver to depress the poppet in the center of the "IN" or gas side. I would definitely buy some new o-ring kits and some keg lube to keg these puppies ready for service.

Changing the kegs over to ball lock is a matter of personal preference, and would cost roughly $20+\- per keg. You would need to know what type of keg you have to get the correct ball lock post. The keg manufacturer is often on the side. I would say to keep them pin lock and see how it works.

To pressure test them, replace all the seals and put some keg lube on them. Once you've done that you'll need to buy/borrow a tank of Co2, a regulator set, and fill them each with about 25 PSI to set the seals on the keg. Take the gas off the keg and spray some star san or a bottle of soapy solution around all the posts and the lid and watch for leaks. After a couple hours do the bubble test again, and if you don't have any leaks you should be good to go. You can leave them pressurized in storage until you need them, but be sure to release the gas (by depressing the poppet on the gas side) before trying to open.

To pressure test them, replace all the seals and put some keg lube on them. Once you've done that you'll need to buy/borrow a tank of Co2, a regulator set, and fill them each with about 25 PSI to set the seals on the keg. Take the gas off the keg and spray some star san or a bottle of soapy solution around all the posts and the lid and watch for leaks. After a couple hours do the bubble test again, and if you don't have any leaks you should be good to go. You can leave them pressurized in storage until you need them, but be sure to release the gas (by depressing the poppet on the gas side) before trying to open.

+1 to this!

PRVs aren't really needed, unless you want to spend the money. I would change the O-Rings (about $3.50/set) and make sure they hold pressure for at least 24 hours. Poppets are a bit more expensive, but there are some generic ones that work well on my kegs.

Thanks for all the info!
@raolii - yes, Louisiana.

I'm sure this won't be the last of my questions.

Thanks for all the info!
@raolii - yes, Louisiana.

I'm sure this won't be the last of my questions.

Ask away...that's what the forum is here for! I've got a ton of information on here by asking questions and reading threads. Good luck on your brewing and kegging ventures! Craigslist and Ebay are a great place to look for brewin and kegging equipment if you are looking for a good deal.

Back