Pimpkin Porter ~~ October Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrn77az

Reaction score
I have seen the 2 posts that are out there for the Pumpkin Porter, However, I am wondering if there is more than 1 recipe out there. In fact I am wondering if anyone has made one and can give me the results? On the other post no one has given the taste test results, so im wondering how it went. Thanks for any feedback on this.

Here is my recipe for my Smiling Pumpkin Ale. It was definitely a hit-and-miss kind of thing since I was just making it up. But I've heard many positive comments about it. I've been told the spices were right on, the low carbonation was a good thing, it's clean. But I've also been told (and I totally agree) it needs to be more malty. If I make it again, I'll steep more grains and use less extract. Also, I put the pumpkin back in during the boil to try to get more pumpkin flavor out of it. I took it out when I did so the spices didn't get hung up in the grain bag I was using to contain the pumpkin.

Bake 7-10# of pie pumpkin slices at 350F 1 hour with some pumpkin spice on it.
Peel.
Add to nylon mesh bag and steep 1 hour with 1# 2 Row.
Sparge 2 Row with 2 pints water.
Bring wort to boil.
3# LME amber
3# DME light
1 oz Hallertau hops
Put pumpkin back in for 20 minutes middle of boil.
Add spices with 15 minutes remaining in boil.
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
Cool. Top off to 5 gallons. Sprinkle Mutons Premium Gold yeast on top.
Let sit in primary for 3 weeks. Bottle.
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.012

Good luck. Hope this helps.

DO NOT throw out the pumkin once you're done making the beer. Mash it up, and use it to make pumpkin pie. It will be the best pumpkin pie you've ever made. The hops will get stuck on the pumpkin, and you will have a hoppy pumpkin pie! OMG, it is so good!
Just use the recipe on the back of a can of Libby's pumpkin and substitute your pumpkin for the canned stuff.

This is actually a duplicate thread. The OP create two of them. This one was ignored and left to die because he had spelled pumpkin wrong, and started a new thread. Where evidently he got the info he needed from me....not many people have brewed pumpkin porters evidenlty.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/pumpkin-porter-ready-october-126598/

Here is my recipe for my Smiling Pumpkin Ale. It was definitely a hit-and-miss kind of thing since I was just making it up. But I've heard many positive comments about it. I've been told the spices were right on, the low carbonation was a good thing, it's clean. But I've also been told (and I totally agree) it needs to be more malty. If I make it again, I'll steep more grains and use less extract. Also, I put the pumpkin back in during the boil to try to get more pumpkin flavor out of it. I took it out when I did so the spices didn't get hung up in the grain bag I was using to contain the pumpkin.

Bake 7-10# of pie pumpkin slices at 350F 1 hour with some pumpkin spice on it.
Peel.
Add to nylon mesh bag and steep 1 hour with 1# 2 Row.
Sparge 2 Row with 2 pints water.
Bring wort to boil.
3# LME amber
3# DME light
1 oz Hallertau hops
Put pumpkin back in for 20 minutes middle of boil.
Add spices with 15 minutes remaining in boil.
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
Cool. Top off to 5 gallons. Sprinkle Mutons Premium Gold yeast on top.
Let sit in primary for 3 weeks. Bottle.
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.012

Good luck. Hope this helps.

hope2perc ~~ thanks for the info on your recipe, I still have yet to make the Pumpkin, so, I will defiantly look this over and compare recipes... Again thanks for the recipe.

Back