Pilsner vs 2-row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Compared to Pilsner, regular 2-row tastes pretty bland. 2-Row is basically flavor neutral, like Budweiser or something... Pilsener has a more malty flavor like say Becks, or Stella ??

Hard to describe, but taste a good European or Chezh Pilsener and the malt you're tasting is Pilsener Malt. Now taste some non-craft American beer and you're most likely tasting 2-row.

Compared to Pilsner, regular 2-row tastes pretty bland. 2-Row is basically flavor neutral, like Budweiser or something... Pilsener has a more malty flavor like say Becks, or Stella ??

Hard to describe, but taste a good European or Chezh Pilsener and the malt you're tasting is Pilsener Malt. Now taste some non-craft American beer and you're most likely tasting 2-row.

respectively have to disagree (or maybe we're using different companies malts). the pils i use has about a 1.6-1.8 lovibond, whereas the 2 row pale I use has 2-3 lovibond. I've noticed a bit more robust maltiness when i use 2 row as opposed to pils.

pils is generally 2-row that is kilned faster at a higher temperature.

it will be much more crisp than 2-row and will give a lighter color.

from briess...

2-row:

CHARACTERISTICS AND APPLICATIONS
• Base malt for all beer styles
• Smoother, less grainy flavor than 6-Row Brewers Malt.
• Slightly higher yield than 6-Row Brewers Malt.
• Slight lower protein than 6-Row Brewers Malt.
• Produced from AMBA/BMBRI recommended 2-Row Malting Barley varieties.

Pilsner:

• Very light colored base malt.
• Produces exceptionally clear, crisp wort.
• Pilsen Malt has a slightly lower protein level than 2-Row Brewers Malt.
• Pilsen Malt is slightly undermodified and suitable for any mashing regime. If used in a single step mash, it will
produce slightly lower yields and fermentibility. Decoction mashing will produce increased yields and degree of
fermentability, but is by no means necessary.
• Produced from AMBA/BMBRI recommended 2-Row Malting Barley varieties.

I use pilsner malt here and there when I want a slightly bready/grainy flavor (in my cream ale for example). 2 row, like stated, will be a bit more bland and not so malty.

respectively have to disagree (or maybe we're using different companies malts). the pils i use has about a 1.6-1.8 lovibond, whereas the 2 row pale I use has 2-3 lovibond. I've noticed a bit more robust maltiness when i use 2 row as opposed to pils.

I either want to try some of your 2-row or avoid your Pils :)

I think the brands I get are "Weyerman" Pilsner, and "Briess" 2-Row.

I think the color I get is pretty close to the same as your's though, its just the taste that is different. To me, 2-Row tastes barely malty like generic beer - just basically neutral in taste, while Pilsner tastes definitely malty and slightly sweet.

Back