Pilsner Urquel and Stella bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stimulus

Reaction score
So I drink a good bit of both these beers and had maybe 60 bottles saved up and on bottling day I had an issue getting my capper to cap these bottles. I noticed that they had a smaller head on them and I guess this is why the capper won't cap them.

Any one have a trick here? Shame to waste all these bottles... :(

I have a bench capper, and I can cap just about anything, even screw bottles. It is well worth it to upgrade to a bench capper not to have problems with locating bottles.

I had some Stella bottles that someone gave me. Could not cap them with a wing capper and I ended up tossing them

yep, they're a pain. try a few times, eventually i was able to get them on with a real slow pull on the wings.

Same here, I capped some Pilsner Urquels. I think the problem was the neck, the wing capper had a hard time grabbing it but if you do it just right you can get it to cap.

I've only used these once (for a cider), and I had trouble getting them to cap - the capper would clamp shut, but not crimp the caps down. I got frustrated, then remembered I had another capper (different brand, but same design), and it capped them just fine.

I attributed it to my first capper being broken, and don't remember if I tried to use it on a regular bottle to see if it worked. Maybe I'll test that out sometime and see, but if it's just the different brand, that could be why it works for some and not for you.

Lucky I had that second capper, or I'd have been real pissed to have two cases of bottles filled with cider I couldn't cap.

The woman at my LHBS explained this to me a while back. The reason a wing capper won't work is because on the "european" style bottles they have a "double lip" so to say. If you compare them to any american style bottle you will see the difference. This is what prevents them from being properly capped with a wing capper. They can easily be capped with a bench capper though so if you are going to be using a lot of these bottles a bench capper is probably a wise investment for you.

Back