Pilsner Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cool brew

Reaction score
I just realized that I have a large empty fridge, and I want to brew a beer that requires cold fermentation temperatures. Recently, a homebrewer told me that pilsners require cold fermentation temps. Any good recipes out there for a good pils?

Really? I cant just get it to about 50 and then leave it closed for a week or so while it ferments? This is the recipe I was thinking about.

2.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 21.1 %
3.00 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 31.6 %
2.00 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 21.1 %
2.00 lb Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 21.1 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (60 min) Hops 18.8 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (30 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%] (5 min) Hops 9.5 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (10 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
0.50 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5.3 %
1 Pkgs American Lager (Wyeast Labs #2035) Yeast-Lager

Will this work?

You are also going to need to lager it. Probably in the high 30s for a month minimum.

As far as the recipe, if you want it to look like a pilsner, don't use the LME. Find a place you can buy pilsner DME (Briess sells it) and do all DME. I think that DME you have listed might be pilsner malt is disguise.

Also to keep the brew a light color you should try a late boil extract addition. Do a search there are a couple good threads on that.

Also, lagers are a bit more work than ales. Pilsners may be one of the harder lagers. Check this out: http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter19-4.html

Bobby_M said:
You'll need an external temp controller for that fridge to keep it 50-55F.

I think pilsner yeast is going to be just fine at 46F. Just make a good starter and aerate before peaching.

AdIn said:
I think pilsner yeast is going to be just fine at 46F. Just make a good starter and aerate before peaching.

According to Wyeast, #2035 American Lager yeast needs to ferment at 48-58F.

That temp may be easy to keep the fridge, maybe. But, after the primary fermentation is over you will need to rack to a secondary and drop the temp to the 30s to lager it. You might be able to get it that low with the regular control but it might be tough. Also, you don't want to risk freezing your beer.

I was actually reading this as I am planning my first lager.

Back