Pilsner malt recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motobrewer

I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Reaction score
I bought a sack of Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner malt. I made some helles with it.

Now I'm struggling to use it up. I have enough helles/pilsners going now. What else can I use this for?

Lots of things:

Kolsch, Belgian golden strong (Duvel), Belgian quad (halvsies with pale malt and D180 syrup), Patersbier (to grow yeast for either of the prev 2), Pale ale, Oktoberfest, Blonde ale.

I am finding that I like pilsner malt as a base even in darker ales, despite the longer boil time. I have bought sacks of most of the major base malts (us 2 row, uk 2 row, pale ale, Vienna, and pils) and find I like pilsner malt near the top. I also really like the bready British floor malted varieties.

i've been thinking about a tripel. i always used belgian pils for it - how do you think the german floor malted pils will work in it?

i've been thinking about a tripel. i always used belgian pils for it - how do you think the german floor malted pils will work in it?

It will work just fine.

A super simple, tasty tripel recipe is

80% pils, 20% sugar. Hop with saaz to a BU:GU ratio of .375. 2/3 of the iBU's a 60 and the other 1/3 at 20. Yeast of your choice. I like 3787.

Patersbier - 10 lbs of Pilsner, mash low, soft water, some saaz at 60, a little more at 10, ferment with any Trappist yeast. It makes an awesome surprisingly complex beer.

Just about anything can be built from a base of Pilsner malt. This does not mean there aren't better suited bases for a particular style ...

It will work just fine.

A super simple, tasty tripel recipe is 80% pils, 20% sugar.

Yeah that's the standard recipe I usually use. there's a Chouffe clone on here somewhere and that's basically the recipe.

How about a Hefe or Berliner Weisse?

Really not a fan of wheats, but thanks.

Patersbier - 10 lbs of Pilsner, mash low, soft water, some saaz at 60, a little more at 10, ferment with any Trappist yeast. It makes an awesome surprisingly complex beer.

I've made Patersbier before - great suggestion...

How about a Saison?

I have been wanting to try a dark saison, but not really feelin' it.

Thanks for the suggestions but I'm gonna go somewhat boring and do a Maibock. Probably Kaiser's recipe.

Some of these will go on the list though, especially Gavin's Alt.

Back