Pilsner Malt Aftertaste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is this me, or is something wrong with my malt? I was brewing with Pilsner malt and chewed on a spoonful of grain: grainy, bread, a little sweet, and then ... grassy, veering into seaweed. Definitely a different aftertaste than the other base grains I have around. I get the same taste from my 9-month-old bag (stored gamma-seal) as from some that I just ordered online from a different maltster.

I wouldn't say 'seaweed', but grassy could definitely be a description. Fresh cut hay. Grainy. Maltsters vary a fair bit.

Try Mecca Grade Pils-style grain. I am not a huge fan of Pilsner malt for the reasons you cite but I don’t get that with Mecca Grade.

I wouldn't say 'seaweed', but grassy could definitely be a description. Fresh cut hay. Grainy. Maltsters vary a fair bit.
Grassy would be ok, but it was the hint of seaweed that made me think my malt had gone off. But then the other batch tasted the same way, which made me think it was me.

I went ahead and used it, and the wort was very good, so I don’t think I need to dump anything.

I'd recommend brewing with it, and see how the beer tastes.

But if you know it was stored for a while under less than ideal circumstances, esp damp, or it is just old, that would be another story. If it tastes like mold, mildew or fungus, compost it or something.

Otherwise I'd say, "brew on".

If you've stored it for 9 months in gamma seal containers, I doubt there's anything wrong with it. Since it tastes the same as pilsner from another maltster, it's probably just a normal attribute for the variety.

Back