Pilsner hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Steveruch

Reaction score
I'm about one third of the way through a pilsner that I brewed with hersbrucker instead of my usual mittlefruh and I'm very pleased with it.

monkeymath

Reaction score
I have a pilsner where I used a 50/50 blend of the two hops. I feel they compliment each other well, with the Mittelfrüh providing some sort of floral brightness and the Hersbrucker bringing some deeper woody and some berry notes.

I think I wouldn't do 100% of Mittelfrüh in basically any beer. But a bit of it should do well in basically any pale beer and it's a wonderful "supporting" hop (it's marvelous paired with Cascade). One of my favourite varieties, actually.

jdauria

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Nice, lots of quality German hops work great in a pilsner. I am even a big fan of all Loral in a Pils, or even Liberty.

Last edited:

Beer666

Reaction score
Not tried it yet. Really like mittlefruh though. Have to give hersbrucker a go.

Genuine

Reaction score
I've been tweaking my house Summer Pilsner recipe. Made a great Saaz hopped pilsner and this year I believe I'd like to play with some tettnang and mittlefruh. I use all mittlefruh in my Oktoberfest recipe but I'm wondering how it would be in a simple pilsner.

Bramling Cross

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Call me a knuckle-dragging simpleton, but I think Clusters makes an awfully nice pilsner. So does Mt. Hood, Vanguard, and Crystal.

I'm always frustrated with European hops. When you get a good pound, they're amazing, but too often you get the garbage that nobody in Europe wanted to brew with.

Increasingly, I'm brewing with US hops. Are they better? That's not my call to make. I do know, however, that they make a more lively, interesting beer than Europe's Island of Misfit Toys hops.

Last edited:

monkeymath

Reaction score
Call me a knuckle-dragging simpleton, but I think Clusters makes an awfully nice pilsner. So does Mt. Hood, Vanguard, and Crystal.

I'm always frustrated with European hops. When you get a good pound, they're amazing, but too often you get the garbage that nobody in Europe wanted to brew with.

Increasingly, I'm brewing with US hops. Are they better? That's not my call to make. I do know, however, that they make a more lively, interesting beer than Europe's Island of Misfit Toys hops.

Hm, I wonder whether the supply situation is any different for us homebrewers in Europe. After all, the situation - only what no brewer bought makes it to the homebrew stores - should be the same. Considering the price we pay is a multiple of the original price...

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score

I now almost automatically reach for Willamette instead of Fuggle. That’s an easy substitution, and a tasty one.

Northern_Brewer

British - apparently some US company stole my name
Reaction score

Welcome to our Citra....

Going back on topic, Agostino Arioli of Tipopils fame has this to say :

Arioli’s idea to try dry hopping a pilsner didn’t come from the world of lager at all. It came from British ales. “I took my idea from the English beer tradition because they used to dry hop beer in the cask. I saw this in England, and I just thought, ‘Wow, I could do that in my beers because I love hops.’”

His dry-hop variety of choice these days, he says, is mainly Spalter Select.

“To be honest, I’ve tried almost every Noble hop from Germany,” Arioli says. He says he tried dry hopping with Hersbrucker, Spalter, Tettnanger, Hallertauer Mittelfrüh..., “then finally I ended up with Spalter Select. And I’ve been using it at least 15 years now. … It’s a hop that I really appreciate because it keeps a special citrusy, lemon-zest touch. I think it’s a very modern hop—despite that it’s an old one.”

Another reason he sticks with that hop: He likes his source—the Locher family farm in Tettnang—and the quality that he gets from there. He’s not the only one: Other well-known brewer-customers include Matt Brynildson of Firestone Walker in California, Yvan De Baets of Brasserie de la Senne in Brussels, and Eric Toft of Schönramer in Bavaria.