Pilsner dry hop timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt_Caveman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning Brewmeisters! I have a question related to my second batch of my Itai Pilsner.

When is the best time for a dry hop? Should I drop in during the last few points of my primary fermentation OR should I wait until I complete DR and into my cold crash? Trying to avoid the "creep" and what would be best for this style of hoppy lager?

Best,
=>>Caveman

No matter what style, I always dry hop while there is still some active fermentation going on, aiming for the CO2 produced to push out the air that's introduced when the lid is opened. I've experienced oxygenation issues from opening the lid to dry hop after fermentation has finished.

No matter what style, I always dry hop while there is still some active fermentation going on, aiming for the CO2 produced to push out the air that's introduced when the lid is opened. I've experienced oxygenation issues from opening the lid to dry hop after fermentation has finished.
Thank you Gilbert. Im dry hopping with the "sous vide" magnet method and I will not be exposing to add the dry hop.

Thank you Gilbert. Im dry hopping with the "sous vide" magnet method and I will not be exposing to add the dry hop.
Those are cool, I hadn't seen those before! You could conceivably lift the hop bag back up? Otherwise you would want to dry hop however many days you want it in the beer before you are transferring. That would avoid an extra exposure.

Those are cool, I hadn't seen those before! You could conceivably lift the hop bag back up? Otherwise you would want to dry hop however many days you want it in the beer before you are transferring. That would avoid an extra exposure.
Well, I can drop it but Ill have to use the force to pull 'em out. I guess thats better regarding exposure time.

I was wondering if you could just slide the magnets down the side? Dunk the bag, then lift up again later? May not work in practice...the hops would expand and perhaps the bag would become floppy. with four magnets you could stretch the bag into a line, one pair on each end. Just theorizing, might be difficult in practice.

Back