Pilsner at ale temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redking11

Reaction score
Any one have a Pilsner recipe that I can brew ale temps that turns out pretty clean? Is this possible?

Thanks

How low can you go? If you can get down to 60 you could give 029 a go. I'm doing a Schwarzbier that I want to to turn around quickly with it now.

This question has been answered very in depth already on this site and others, even recently.

The only thing i'm going to add is a warning that if you can't control it cold (preferably 50F, but under 60F could get you something decent), you're better off not making this style. A hot fermentation has nothing to hide behind.

All Pilsner malt (aim for 1.050 og)
Saaz hops (40 IBU with 60 and 20 minute additions)
US-05 around 65°.

Should be pretty close to what you are wanting.

I fermented a 1 gallon SMaSH with pils malt / saaz hops. Split the fermentation, one with 34/70 lager yeast and one with us-05 ale yeast. People say this is a hard style to brew since the clean flavour highlights any mistakes - that was certainly my experience, though after enough time it was very enjoyable and the off-flavours had mellowed a lot.

The ale I didn't bother with temperature control but ambient temps were cool. My best guess is that it mostly fermented at under 65f.

Since it was such a small test batch I only got 3 bottles of ale + 7 lager. The first early ale bottle tasted real average. Last bottle after about 2 months lagering tasted excellent, just a bit of lingering DMS.

I would have no hesitation brewing this again with us-05 ale yeast, at temperature controlled low 60s. I did prefer the lager version but the ale version was good too.

I have had good luck with saflager W-34/70. It claims to be good up to 72*
I ferment it at 63*- 65* and have enjoyed the finished product.
As far as the rest of the recipe all pilsner malt and saaz or another noble hop of your choosing to bitter 20-40 IBU's and a 90 minute boil is my usual. I have one fermenting right now with nugget and it tastes pretty good so far.
Cheers
I do pitch 2 packs for a 6 gal batch btw

Back