Pilsner: 3 weeks fermentation activity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njohnsoncs

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first Pilsner and it's been fermenting for about 3 weeks (I see bubbles in the airlock). I checked about a week ago and the SG was at 1.011 (OG: 1.049) and the bubbles were slowing so I did a diacetyl rest for a week. After which the SG was 1.008. That was yesterday and I still see bubbles in the airlock.

My questions: is it common for a Pilsner to ferment this long? If so, is it OK that it's been in the primary fermenter for almost 3 weeks? Is it OK to ramp to lagering temps before fermentation is complete if I'm kegging?

Thanks!

^I agree.

It's at 77.5% attenuation and after 3 weeks at lager and D-rest temps, I'm sure it's done. Keg it and chill it. Even if it ekes out another gravity point once it's kegged, who cares? You won't notice anything.

First generation yeast might take this long if you've fermented it on the cooler side. The bubbling in the airlock is what I guess mostly, if not all, due to you turning up the temp for D-rest, so the beer is releasing co2. Airlock activity itself is not a sign of fermentation, it's just telling you that gas is going through the airlock.

First generation yeast might take this long if you've fermented it on the cooler side. The bubbling in the airlock is what I guess mostly, if not all, due to you turning up the temp for D-rest, so the beer is releasing co2. Airlock activity itself is not a sign of fermentation, it's just telling you that gas is going through the airlock.
All of this 100%.
Don't rely on airlocks. Their purpose is to keep organisms out, not to indicate fermentation activity.

Brilliant! I will keg asap and ramp down the temp.

Just curious, how long is too long for a Pilsner to sit in primary fermentation? For my ales, I usually do 3 weeks.

Assuming you are trying to ferment to full attenuation (not spunding), 3 weeks is a safe bet (including D-rest ramp-up if you are doing one).
Barring problems with your yeast or other environmental issues, it shouldn't need any longer than that. No beer at reasonable normal gravity, even a cold-fermented lager, should take more than 3 weeks in fermentation.

Then your ramp down to lager temp should take about a week, then lager for a while.

As with everything, there are variations on technique. There are those "short & shoddy" fast-lager types who are drinking their bottom-fermented beers (they aren't lagers if you don't...wait for it...LAGER them...) in 3 weeks or less.

But a more traditional profile is 2-3 weeks in primary, rack, ramp down for about a week, then lager 4-6 weeks at as close to freezing as you can manage.

Back