pils question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dooksh

Reaction score
if brewing a pils is decoction the preferred way to go or could i just do a simple infusion (i am using well modified Weyermann malt) ?

Either.

Your likely to get different flavour profiles so it depends what you want and how much effort you want to put into it.

If you have the inclination why not try both so you know what is best for you.

Single infusion will still make good beer as long as your pils comes from a quality maltster. I make plenty of pilsener based beer with single infusions. My last batch was 100% pils and single infusion as an example.

Orfys right though, there's a different flavor from decoction.

thanks. i think i will try decoction the next time(lazy)

Supposedly you can supplement the grist with a little munich and / or melanoidin malt to emulate the decoction. I have tried this with my bohemian pils, but it's still fermenting so can't comment on how well it works.

Good luck!

Either.

Your likely to get different flavour profiles so it depends what you want and how much effort you want to put into it.

If you have the inclination why not try both so you know what is best for you.

This post is full of win and dont let anyone tell you different

Supposedly you can supplement the grist with a little munich and / or melanoidin malt to emulate the decoction. I have tried this with my bohemian pils, but it's still fermenting so can't comment on how well it works.

Good luck!

I'm hoping that malanoidin stuff works good, I'm dong a partial-mash maibock using about 4% of it.

thanks. i think i will try decoction the next time(lazy)

I don't have much to add here, except that I generally do decoctions for Pilsner because to me, the beer is better. But it takes about 6 1/2 hours and essentiially there are two mashes going on, so the brewer is buiy most of the time. The single infusion makes a good beer, but it lacks the flavor i like. I've tried using Munich malt, but then it has a different flavor still, good, but not like the decoction proceedure produces. Just my 2 pence...

Back