Pilot Light with Honeywell Y8610U intermittent pilot kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkloos

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just setting up my Y8610U today, and I'm wondering how you all set up the pilot whn using LP jet burners? Can we use the pilot supplied with the burner, or do we need to use the Q345A1313 Pilot Burner/Sensor Assembly?

Could it work if we orient the ignitor to light the stock pilot?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bryan

You can use a plug in the pilot burner hole and drill it for a way to bolt the pilot burner to the ring burner. For a picture of this look at "KornDogs" gallery for the picture of the pilot burner mount that he built.

I guess I'll just buy the burner listed in thread...

My thoughts were that I could use the pilot that came with the burner instead of having to buy another part.

Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that the pilot burners flame is directed at the ignitor/sensor, which when hot passes adequate current to trigger the control module to recognize successful ignition of the pilot... If this is true, we should be able to use the pilot supplied with the Top Food Service jet burner, as long as its flame is capable if lighting the other tips and heating the senser sufficiently... At least this was my thought.

Any input?

Thanks,

Bryan

Did you get the full Y8610U kit with valve and pilot?, the pilot supplied in the kit is sufficient for use with the ring burner.
Next question, is the burner fuel source NG or low pressure Propane.
If fuel is low pressure propane did you get LP conversion parts for valve and LP orifice for pilot burner. The valve supplied in the kit will not handle more than 1/2 PSI gas pressure, if ring burner is high pressure then a bit of drilling is neccessary to open the jets up for low pressure operation, and a low pressure regulator is needed.

When I purchased the kit, it included the valve and ignitor/sensor, but no pilot burner. It did contain the conversion for LP, which I installed (new spring, adjust screw and cap screw).

I have two low pressure LP jet burners from Top Food Service. I also have a 0-20psi adjustable regulator.

http://www.topfoodservice.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TFS&Product_Code=KECABJ005&Product_Count=&Category_Code=

I also have a 0-20psi adjustable regulator.

It seems my options are to retrofit the pilot burner that came from Top Food or to purchase the LP pilot burner from Honeywell.

It would probably be easier to buy the honeywell pilot burner and the LP orifice than trying to retrofit the pilot burner supplied with the burner. While you might be able to set the 0-20 psi regulator pressure low enough to work the stability of the pressure is going to be poor. It would be better if you used the 0-20 psi regulator set to 10 psi to feed a low pressure regulator which feeds the gas manifold for the burners.

No, not for an intermittent pilot.

Did you get the full Y8610U kit with valve and pilot?, the pilot supplied in the kit is sufficient for use with the ring burner.
As kladue posted above, the flame sensor/pilot is all what is required for an intermittent ignition system.
I have the same setup.
4ae512ab-1.jpg

You need to install a low pressure regulator in front of the gas valve.
The valves can not handle 10 psi as per spec sheet.
I use one for every gas valve.
Low pressure regulator 0.5 psi out, with standing pilot valve shown.
100_5059-1.jpg

My edit: Inserted missing first picture
Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Thanks guys.
I ordered the pilot burner, and will use the ignotor and sensor in my kit.
Looking forward to geting this thing finished!!!

Back