pig roast and only a month, what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commonlaw

Reaction score
a friend is moving away and his wife wants to throw a pig roast before they go. i'd like to brew a beer, but this is happening first weekend in october and i can brew only this coming weekend (labor day weekend). I keg so can force carb, but need help with an idea for a beer that will be big enough (in taste at least) to stand up to a pig but won't taste like crap 4 weeks from grain to grass.

One thought I had was a dunkelweizen. Maybe a malty brown of some kind. Thoughts/links to recipes appreciated.

Brown... that's what I had with my last pig roast. We did two this year because I recently bought the Caja China box. I plan on doing 3 or more next year, maybe even one during the winter.

Next year I will make a beer specifically for the big pig roast. This year it was a brown I had on hand. I might make an early Octoberfest for next year.

Mild Mannered Ale, Litehaus Wheat, or Centennial Blonde

Search the recipe section. All of them finish quickly and are always highly received.

dark mild! low abv lots of malt... great flavor... ready quick... goes great with hog keg carb naturally and go with low carbonation. bottle carb i go with 1/2 cup corn sugar per 5 gallon. crowd pleaser! can drink a lot with pork!

You should be able to do most any low abv ibu ale. Even an english pale ale with good bready character and bit of hops would go well. Make sure you get a good healthy starter going to get your beer fermenting asap. Also pick a yeast that is aggressive and neutral in profile.

thanks guys, looks like a dark mild may be the answer. I've done one before and it was good but not amazing (it was one of the two beers I've brewed with the Fullers yeast, and I have not loved either (the other being a bitter)--not sure why--I love Fullers. Back to Burton yeast for me maybe). Going to mix up my previous recipe a little bit and hope for the best. I may also look into something in the 60/- to 80/- range--sort of a more malty bitter, right?

Also I worry the mild may not be up to the heft of a pig. But if I get a big enough malty character it should be ok. I'm sure something with a little smoke in it (might be interesting with a roast pig) would be too raw in that amount of time, and I also can't go too big on the alcohol given the time. Still thinking about a dunkelweizen too.

Friend is getting the caja china box for the roast. should be fun.

Oktoberfest is probably the ideal style in my mind, but not nearly enough time for that.

Back