Pig for a pet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikePote

Reaction score
Does anybody out there have a pet pig or know somebody with a pet pig? My wife wants one of those mini pigs that only get to 40ish pounds. They are super intelligent and can be house trained. They are legal to have where I live so no worries about that.

I love pork to much for that.

"Hey honey what's for dinner?" said my wife.
"Damn, forgot to defrost something! Oh well, here porky, porky, porky...." said me.

We had a pot belly growing, imagine my Dad's surprise when we won it at a fair. He was a good pet smart but we did not keep him in the house.

Wasn't your wife the one who went and got a membership on home brew talk so she could learn all there is to know about brewing to surprise you with the most awesome brewing gifts ever for Christmas? She sounds pretty amazing. I think you should get her at LEAST one pig, not the 40 pounds ones, though. Something in the 20 pound range. Here, let me show you a couple of cute options.

8159894_orig.jpg

6261282.jpeg

It's my understanding that the ones that stay small (like you said 40-50 lbs) are very expensive. And even at that size, they are very strong and can be destructive. The cheaper ones will be over 100 lbs and will be impossible to deal with. As cute as the pictures are, I would research it a lot more and think long and hard before getting one.

I have done a lot of research, contrary to what my husband would believe :p I have found the pigs in the smaller range from reputable breeders for a few hundred dollars as opposed to over a thousand. The pigs I am looking at are middle of the road in size and weight, not the tiny juliana's that run so much cost wise. Large pot belly pigs are destructive, yes, small pigs are not so long as, like any animal, you play with it. If your pig is a rooter it is suggested you take a favorite toy or snack and hide it in a pile of blankets or loose dirt to scratch that itch.

I'd say if you are finding something for a few hundred dollars when they should be a few thousand, then that is not a reputable breeder. You get what you pay for, buyer beware, caveat emptor, etc...

No, not that the pricing is cheaper than everywhere else. I am saying the pigs I want are middle of the road in size and therefore a few hundred dollars as opposed to the insanely tiny pigs that are a thousand.

If you have the space for it, and you understand the commitment of having an animal (especially an unconventional domestic animal) then I say go for it.

I saw a news story a couple years back about "counterfeit mini-pigs" which are sold as mini-pigs but they just keep growing until they're... normal pigs. Watch out for that. I guess if it grows into a normal pig it you can always just have a luau....

Ha ha a luau. We will be living in 40 acres homesteading. There will always be an outdoor option, heaven forbid that were to happen.

Lol I don't even know this Matt person, but I guarantee he is making a friend in my husband for arguing the opposition for him lol. Problem is, I'm the wife and I'll win every.time. ;)
LOL. My gf wanted one too (who doesn't want one after seeing the cute pictures?). We looked into it and the downsides outweighed the upsides for us. We ended up with a rabbit, which is a lot of work also and she can be destructive too, but it's a bit easier to control an 8 lb rabbit than a 40 lb pig. Good luck to whomever wins this battle :)

Green acres is the place for me.
Farm livin' is the life for me.
Land spreadin' out so far and wide
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

I had 2 a female and a male the female was 2 x the size of the male and was always trying to eat. the male was always trying to make bacon with the female. there great and didn't have any problems till one of my hounds had puppies you cannot have these pigs around blood. all the old timers in my family warned me about it and i should have listened. a very loving kind female tried to slaughter and eat the puppies. there is a few websites out there that shows you how to show them you are the leader of the pack. very easy but you look like a damn fool doing it

get him on the like side ( honey if i have a pig you can brew more as we can use the spent grain for feed) i had a friend who had a potbelly and it used to go everywhere with him just like a gog. it would even stick its head out the window while he was driving. his was around 40 lbs full grown

That'll do, pig. Thal'll do.

I would honestly call it something completely out of character for a pig like . Swear to everybody it is a dog or a cat for that matter, then when they try to convince you its a pig act all surprised and ticked off that someone cheated you.

Back