Piecing together my brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollisBT

Reaction score
So, I have been brewing with some friends for a while, and I am finally putting together my own brewery. This is mostly out of need, as my work schedule has changed and I can no longer brew with those friends :( . I am coming looking for advice, and mostly to see what exactly I am forgetting to include in what I will need. My plan is to start out pretty basic, but to build it in a way that I can upgrade it in the future (possible RIMS/HERMS MLT, more advanced mash/boil system, brew stand, etc). But for starting out, here is my list of (basic) needs:

Kettle:

Keg
Valve

MLT:

Cooler
valve
false bottom

Chiller:

Plate chiller from dudadiesel.com

Is there anything else I am forgetting, or that might be handy to have?

You might want a fermentation vessel, some rubber stoppers, bottling bucket (or kegging equipment), a few hundred bottles...

Sorry, I left that out. I already have the NWB deluxe kit, and a plethora of 22 oz bottles. So the fermentation side of things is taken care of. I am just needing the mash/boil side of things.

I also already have a burner.

1/2" ID 3/4" OD silicon rubber tubing. Don't screw with inferior hoses. You'll thank me later.

Hose barbs for the valves.

Clamps for the hoses. Go to an auto parts store and get some that have thumb screws. Those make life a lot easier on brew day.

Dip tube for the inside of the kettle.

Copper aerator for the end of the hose that goes into the fermentation tank (real easy to make one).

Since you're using a plate chiller, you're going to want to use some kind of filtration to keep the hops and hot break away from your easy-to-clog chiller.

Hop spider will keep the hops in check.

You might want to build your dip tube offset so you can whirlpool and keep most of the hot break out of the way.

Or you can use a plain ol SS scrubby as some filtration material for the end of your dip tube.

Another option is to build a SS mesh screen for your dip tube. Bobby M has a video of how to make one. I used his design and his design works well to keep my plate chiller flowing, even without a hop spider.

An extra hose to connect to the water out of the plate chiller.

Hollis,

You are also going to want to invest in some serious Rice Hulls for all of those rye beers you plan on brewing.

Seriously though, how are you controlling fermentation temperature, and how are you aerating the wort?

1/2" ID 3/4" OD silicon rubber tubing. Don't screw with inferior hoses. You'll thank me later.

Hose barbs for the valves.

Clamps for the hoses. Go to an auto parts store and get some that have thumb screws. Those make life a lot easier on brew day.

Dip tube for the inside of the kettle.

Copper aerator for the end of the hose that goes into the fermentation tank (real easy to make one).

Since you're using a plate chiller, you're going to want to use some kind of filtration to keep the hops and hot break away from your easy-to-clog chiller.

Hop spider will keep the hops in check.

You might want to build your dip tube offset so you can whirlpool and keep most of the hot break out of the way.

Or you can use a plain ol SS scrubby as some filtration material for the end of your dip tube.

Another option is to build a SS mesh screen for your dip tube. Bobby M has a video of how to make one. I used his design and his design works well to keep my plate chiller flowing, even without a hop spider.

An extra hose to connect to the water out of the plate chiller.
I will look into the upgraded tubing and connectors, thanks for that heads up :) . The dip tube I had already thought about, but was waiting to get my valves to see what kind of construction options I would have. Also, the valves I was looking at (SS ones from rebel brewer) already come with hose barbs on them, so those should be covered. For the dip tube, can I just use copper tubing? Or is there a better option? I can imagine I could order some SS tubing on the internet for a pretty penny, and honestly I don't mind paying a little more for the material up front, rather than buying copper and then later replacing it... Is there a link to the build for the hop screen? I am curious about it. TIA!
Hollis,

You are also going to want to invest in some serious Rice Hulls for all of those rye beers you plan on brewing.

Seriously though, how are you controlling fermentation temperature, and how are you aerating the wort?

I will be buying all of my rice hulls in bulk to save money. I will also be bouncing all of my rye ideas off of you in the future. I will of course ignore all of your input, but I still want to hear it :cross:

For both temp control and aeration I am going to use the KISS method. Simply keeping the fermenters inside in the AC, in a dark room that I don't go into too often, then for aeration I will use something on the transfer hose to aerate on the way to the carboys.

BTW, you guys will probably see me tomorrow, when I come to return all of your growlers...

For the dip tube, can I just use copper tubing? Or is there a better option? I can imagine I could order some SS tubing on the internet for a pretty penny, and honestly I don't mind paying a little more for the material up front, rather than buying copper and then later replacing it... Is there a link to the build for the hop screen? I am curious about it. TIA!

Yes, you can use copper. I have copper dip tubes. They work fine. You could also get custom SS dip tubes made. I have no idea how much they cost.

Here's the video on how to make a screen for your dip tube.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/user/BobbyFromNJ#p/u/49/ypBIcRE2cV8"]http://www.youtube.com/user/BobbyFromNJ#p/u/49/ypBIcRE2cV8[/ame]

Back