PID TA6 to SSR Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwrcst

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been looking all over the forum for an answer but havent found 1 yet. here is the problem.

I have a MYPid ta-6 and believe I have it wired right but the heater cartridge does not shut off when it gets to temp.
I have 1 wire from the cartridge heater attached to the "-" from the wall and the other wire is to the #2 pole on the SSR.

I have the "+" from the wall jumped to the #1 pole on teh SSR.

#3&4 on teh SSR are attached to the + & - on the SSR out on the back of the PID.

The thermometer works correctly and the controller alarms that it is overtemp but it doesnt stop the heater. any ideas?

The way it should be wired is as follows:

On the TA6 (refer to picture):
- Pins 1 (Hot) and 2 (Neutral) are for 120Vac input.
- Pins 3 & 4 connect to an alarm (buzzer/light)
- Pins 5 & 6 are left empty
- Pins 7 (+) & 8 (-) go to the SSR pins. Connect Pin 7 on the PID to the Positive 24VDC input on the SSR and Pin 8 on the PID to the negative 24Vdc pin on the SSR
- Pins 9-12 are for the thermo coupler. How you connect it to these pins will all be dependant on the type of thermo coupler you're using.

As for the SSR, one Hot lead will be attached to one leg of the 120V side of the SSR and the other side will go to one of the Hot lead of the heater. You'll then wire the other hot lead (if it's a 220V heater) for the heater directly to the other phase in your panel. the ground for the heater coil will get tied directly to a common ground. With a 220v heating element, there is no "neutral".

IMG_0837.jpg

That makes me feel better. I did it right after all. I did some more testing and the probe does shut off when temp is reached.

Sorry. False alarm

K

That makes me feel better. I did it right after all. I did some more testing and the probe does shut off when temp is reached.

Sorry. False alarm

K

Also, make sure that you have the right temp probe programmed in the PID, there is an option in the PID to select from Thermo Coupling or RTD temp sensor. If your tempo sensor has three wires, chances are it's RTD.

If your using an RTD and the PID is set to TC (or vice versa) it won't work properly.

Back