PID setup issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattnday

Reaction score
I am pretty sure I have a setting wrong.

I am very new to electric brewing.

I have a n2006 PID and a pt100 sensor.

I have followed the setup instructions that came with the PID and everything seems to work fine when I get closer to boiling temps.

The issue is that it takes an additional 20-30 minutes for the PID measured temps to catch up to the actual temp in the POT.

Example - PID reads 100 when it is actually closer to 150 in the pot. once I achieve boiling the temp sensor eventually catches up and displays the same temp as my thermometer.

Any ideas?

Not Familiar w/ This PID Controller,
I Used a TA4 MyPin PID Cntrl, Different Models, Relay vs SSR, I Needed a SSR Version For My 40Amp SSR, Relay Model Does Not Work
Temp Wise Well w/SSR's
With Yours, It Should Be SSR Version Using a SSR
If Your Hi-Temp Limit Is Factory Default, ie;1600 Change to 250Deg-F If You Operate Max 212.0, Adjust Low As Well, ie; 32.0 - 50.0
My TA4 Proportional Band Time OFF or 0 or 0.1
Integral Time Is OFF or 0 or 0.1

Found Online Manual, Less Descriptive Info Than The TA4, Discovered This Much,

Make Sure You Have Selected The Pt100, Input Signal Code 08, Factory Default Pt100
PSb (PV bias) Setting Controls Over/Under Temp Shooting -100 - +100 Factory Default=0
(Most Likely This Is Not Your Problem, Offsetting Temp By 50 Deg, Normally Would Figure -1 to 5Deg

PID Parameters (Log in by inputting password "0036" after pressing set key)
Take Note Of ALL Parameter Settings vs Factory Default & Found Parameters, ect, Write These Down For Later.

d Derivative time, On The TA4 PID Cntrl, Factory Default Setting Of 20 Was For a Mechanical Relay, SSR Used 2-3
(Relay Response Time)
ot Proportional cycle Make Sure Is Factory Default 2 (Pulsing Output Control), 5-15 Mechanical Relay
(TA4 =1 For SSR, Relay=20 ( For non-contact output, such as SSR control output, the value should be 1-3.)
(Better Temp Control Pulsing Output vs On/Off Control)

Make The Changes and Go For It, If Works Then No Need To AutoTune, Iam Thinking

Also Re-Do PID AutoTuning Function Only After You Have Reached Your Desired Temp & Temp Has Stabilized.
Manual States This Activates When ON, I'm Going Assumed If Any Of The Parameters, Not Including PID Parameters Were Not
Properly Adjusted, Autotuning Would Incorporate Them. Which Might Account For Your Problem.

After AutoTunning Revisit PID Parameters (Log in by inputting password "0036" after pressing set key)
& Note Any Changes
Interested In The Below Parameter Settings, As Well As Others
I: Integral time, Not Sure Its Usage, Iam leaning Towards a Internal Time Delay/Response 2-1999secs Factory Default 100Seconds

SouF: Overshooting and undershooting are restricted by the Souf and increase of the parameter call suppress
the overshooting, Factory Default 0.2 (0.0-1.0)

Hard For Me To Troubleshoot/Experiment Without Putting My Hands On it, All, Maybe a Educated Guess
Good Luck

Back