PID for Boil Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWS

Reaction score
Alright, I'm getting ready to start setting up my E-HERMS system. Currently I am using propane so slowly buying everything for the electric system. I currently have a 50amp breaker running to my garage for the brewing.

I have a question on PID's for the system. I know I will need to use one for the HLT to get everything up to temp and hold it, but my question is do you actually need a PID for the Boil kettle?

I have seen people talking about dumbing down the power (85% or 65%) on the PID to maintain rolling boil, but I'm wondering couldn't you just run the element full blast?

The only thing I can think of is it will have a higher boil off rate, but as long as you establish that before brewing the first time, then you should be able to get a correct preboil volume to compensate.

I currently do 5 gallon batches in a 15 gallon kettle so I have no worry of boilovers. Could anyone let me know what the disadvantages would be to having the boil kettle element run full blast for the Boil?

Thanks in advance.

you don't need a PID, a PWM circuit would do the same thing... but you'll want to control it somehow, especially with something like a 4500 or 5500 watt element. you can use the same PID for both functions.

Option 1: use a contactor to switch the output of the pid from outlet 1 (HLT plug) to outlet 2 (BK plug)

Option 2: put a single outlet in the control box and unplug the HLT, plug in the BK.

Option 3: use a PWM circuit

Back