PID Controllers with RS-485

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flathill

Reaction score
I want to upgrade & add some automation to my 50amp 2 element rims system. I was thinking of using Solo PID's from Automation Direct. Thses PID's can tie into a RS-485 port and they can be programmed and monitored using a computer. Evidently I want my electric 240 volt system have a graphics screen and be able to record some event history. Just thinking about my next step. I have used Aubin's PID's in the past. I was ready to purchase their brew boil 3
20 power ds but it can not tie into a rs 485. Just not sure of my next step.

I want to upgrade & add some automation to my 50amp 2 element rims system. I was thinking of using Solo PID's from Automation Direct. Thses PID's can tie into a RS-485 port and they can be programmed and monitored using a computer. Evidently I want my electric 240 volt system have a graphics screen and be able to record some event history. Just thinking about my next step. I have used Aubin's PID's in the past. I was ready to purchase their brew boil 3
20 power ds but it can not tie into a rs 485. Just not sure of my next step.

RS485 (and similarly RS232) are not very useful with any modern PC. USB is what you need.

Yeah, I wasn't clear. I was trying to add to the explanation of why he's not finding much. You can get 485-USB converters but bet software would be problematic with those (though I have used 232-USB converters for developing code for legacy communications.)

Is there that much 485 still in use? Seems like I always here about more modern stuff like Ethernet, DeviceNet, Profibus, etc.? But I admit to tuning out a lot of the controls talk.

Yeah, I wasn't clear. I was trying to add to the explanation of why he's not finding much. You can get 485-USB converters but bet software would be problematic with those (though I have used 232-USB converters for developing code for legacy communications.)

Is there that much 485 still in use? Seems like I always here about more modern stuff like Ethernet, DeviceNet, Profibus, etc.? But I admit to tuning out a lot of the controls talk.

Modbus over RS485 is still popular (though same over Ethernet is taking over).

Sounds like 485 isn't the way to go. For now I may get a Aubin power boil 320 PID. I will start to investigate the BruControl as this may be the real system I progress to so I can have screen graphics and home computer interface. Thanks for the information.

I'm not sure if the OP was intending on writing their own SW with the SOLO pids or use automation direct's SW gui interface. I bought a SOLO PID for my fermentation chamber along with an RS485-usb adapter to program ramp/soak fermentation profiles several years ago. The SW is very old and no longer being developed. The only way I could see all of the GUI was to set the screen resolution very low to the point that other applications were unusable. Real PIA IMHO to change screen resolution back and forth each time you want to use a program.

After using discrete PIDs, my own Arduino setup, BCS, and now BruControl, I can say that BruControl is by far the most flexible and feature rich. Additionally the architecture is very forward compatible. With the data exchange in the pro version you can add support for pretty much any device. If you want a nice computer interface with interactive graphics, graphing and logging capabilities then BruControl seems like a no brainier cause all these come out of the box. If you can't tell I am very biased towards BruControl.

Last edited:
I am also interested in being able to interface my PIDs via RS-485 for reading and setting temps. So far I've been unable to read any responses from the PID with the set-up I have. If anyone has any insight on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Watlow EZ-Zone with standard bus 485 (PM6R2CA-AAAAAAA)
Crestron C3COM-3 serial interface set for 485 (384,000, 8, 1, none) no handshaking
Crestron TSCW control processor/touchpanel

-was told by Watlow TS that this was proprietary comm. protocol to be used with their software only
-found some info elsewhere suggesting it may be BACnet and found serial commands but they didn't seem to be working
-I'm pretty sure my wiring is correct - tried 120Ω resistor, using twisted pair

While I'm still learning Crestron control programming, I'm pretty sure once I can get some comm. between the PID and the Crestron controller I can then parse out the info to build the program how I need.

My goal is to integrate some automation and ease of control with a mostly built 30A brew panel I have.

I am also interested in being able to interface my PIDs via RS-485 for reading and setting temps. So far I've been unable to read any responses from the PID with the set-up I have. If anyone has any insight on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Watlow EZ-Zone with standard bus 485 (PM6R2CA-AAAAAAA)
Crestron C3COM-3 serial interface set for 485 (384,000, 8, 1, none) no handshaking
Crestron TSCW control processor/touchpanel

-was told by Watlow TS that this was proprietary comm. protocol to be used with their software only
-found some info elsewhere suggesting it may be BACnet and found serial commands but they didn't seem to be working
-I'm pretty sure my wiring is correct - tried 120Ω resistor, using twisted pair

While I'm still learning Crestron control programming, I'm pretty sure once I can get some comm. between the PID and the Crestron controller I can then parse out the info to build the program how I need.

My goal is to integrate some automation and ease of control with a mostly built 30A brew panel I have.

While you might enjoy the challenge of reverse-engineering a comm protocol, if it were my time, I'd just buy one (Auber) that has a public protocol and move on with the build.

Back