PID controllers with a serial port or WiFi ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman !

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a stand alone (DIN mount) PID controller that has a serial port or WiFi ?

Thanks

Brewman, I was hoping someone would respond with a solution. Here’s what I have found: Eliwell makes an HACCP module that attaches to the TTL port on some of their controllers. You connect using BLE so that may or may not work for you. I can’t find a source for buying the HACCP module, and the documentation is pretty much non-existent. I think you would have to try working with Eliwell directly. The other possibility is smartPID.com. Their WiFi PID looks promising but some models are out of stock.

Do you mind sharing your use case? I’m trying to set the glycol temperature using a Raspberry Pi temperature controller app I wrote instead of manually setting the PID. The basic idea is to set my glycol temperature about 6 degrees F. below my target wort temperature. This eliminates temperature stratification in the fermenter. It’s not a big deal because I can manually set the glycol temp, but, well, I can do better. Right now my wort temps are +- .5 F. from my target, and the stratification differential is less than 1 F. degree.

Thanks for sharing. Brew on.

The Brewpil controller does but would require that you run the BrewBlox software on a Raspberry Pi or other small computer (I run mine on a mini PC) and use the browser-based software to run your process.

I use it for my cold side and like it. I’ve considered retrofitting my hot side panel to run off BrewBlox as well but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

The Brewpil controller does but would require that you run the BrewBlox software on a Raspberry Pi or other small computer (I run mine on a mini PC) and use the browser-based software to run your process.

I use it for my cold side and like it. I’ve considered retrofitting my hot side panel to run off BrewBlox as well but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.
Matt, Thanks! I’ll check into the BrewPi controller and BrewBlox. Brew on. Edit: I read through some of the BrewBlox documentation and I think this will work. This looks like a great piece of software. Wow! Thanks again for responding.

Last edited:
Brewpil controller does but would require that you run the BrewBlox software on a Raspberry Pi or other small computer (I run mine on a mini PC) and use the browser-based software to run your process.

I use it for my cold side and like it. I’ve con

I am clearly biased here as we manufacture the gear but our RAPT temp controllers do have a PID feature on them already so if you are looking for a turnkey solution then you might consider this item that Williams Brewing Sell:

RAPT Temperature Controller

I believe that www.morebeer.com will also get stock soon too.

They might be more expensive than the Inkbird or Rasberry Pi option but it's a turnkey plug and play solution with colour screen. This device will:
1. Allow remote control of the device via the RAPT portal
2. If you install the app you can get push notifications to your phone|
3. It will log stuff to the web such as temp, signal strength, heating duty cycle, cooling duty cycle etc.
4. It can also be used as a bluetooth bridge for other RAPT devices such as the RAPT Pill Hydrometer.
5. It is also expandable to multiple temp probes if you pair other bluetooth thermometers like this one. When you pair additional probes both sets of data will log to the RAPT portal and be overlaid on the same graph. It essentially works as a bluetooth bridge and relays low energy bluetooth data back to the internet via wifi.
6. It will also allow profile control for brewing or fermenting profiles. (this is getting upgraded at the moment to allow more complex profile management)

If any of you guys have used this in America so far we would be keen to get some feedback from you as I think they only recently landed in USA.

I am clearly biased here as we manufacture the gear but our RAPT temp controllers do have a PID feature on them already so if you are looking for a turnkey solution then you might consider this item that Williams Brewing Sell:

RAPT Temperature Controller

I believe that www.morebeer.com will also get stock soon too.

They might be more expensive than the Inkbird or Rasberry Pi option but it's a turnkey plug and play solution with colour screen. This device will:
1. Allow remote control of the device via the RAPT portal
2. If you install the app you can get push notifications to your phone|
3. It will log stuff to the web such as temp, signal strength, heating duty cycle, cooling duty cycle etc.
4. It can also be used as a bluetooth bridge for other RAPT devices such as the RAPT Pill Hydrometer.
5. It is also expandable to multiple temp probes if you pair other bluetooth thermometers like this one. When you pair additional probes both sets of data will log to the RAPT portal and be overlaid on the same graph. It essentially works as a bluetooth bridge and relays low energy bluetooth data back to the internet via wifi.
6. It will also allow profile control for brewing or fermenting profiles. (this is getting upgraded at the moment to allow more complex profile management)

If any of you guys have used this in America so far we would be keen to get some feedback from you as I think they only recently landed in USA.
Is there a way to push recipes to the controller from Brewfather?

Back