PID controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayDog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m working on getting a parts list together for my brewery controller. I am using Kal’s Electric Brewery instructions. But in his kits he uses Auber PID’s and I want to use Omron. I really like the look of them. I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with them. I know the model is E5CC, but there are a few different models between them. I came across these models on eBay, e5cc-rx2dsm-800, e5cc-qx2asm-800, e5cc-cx2asm-800 not exactly sure what the difference was.

I know your designing it based on cosmetics and not necessarily function but If the EZboil was around when Kal developed the electric brewery plans years ago, those would have been the controller of choice since they work more effectively to reach and hold temps without tuning and have more built in brewing tools such as timers and multiple relay triggers as well as mash and boil modes....

The omron pid may have a cool looking display but keep in mind, it doesnt do anything different than a regular oldschool pid. The different models most likely distinguish the different outputs such as SSR output, Relay output and various combinations of multiple outputs.

Thanks @augiedoggy I was planning on just buying it built but I find that I enjoy the process of building it myself. I did look at the EZ Boil controllers and wasn't sure how much different they were. I believe the Omron has manual mode and thought it was the same. Do you think the EZ Boil is better? I like the look of the Omron display but function is way more important. I am planning on buying the box cut already and buying the components individually.

I have and have used a bunch of different pids. For my brewing rigs I used the mypin td5 with fuzzy logic and manual mode as well as some other units. The ezboil I have works better at reaching and maintaining temp without overshooting and doesnt require auto tuning like a pid does. It also has a built in boil mode which works like manual mode does although you have the ability to program a timer built in for the boil or the mash mode and it will automatically shut off the heat and trigger a built in alarm. All I. All it's more versitile than a pid for this use and if cost isnt a concern it's a better choice. That said either will work once your familiar with how to properly use each.
I was used to my mypin pids so when I went to the ezboil for my boil kettle I had to relearn how to use it and compared everything to what I was used to..

The truth is, if you use an EZboil each for the HLT and Boil, you can forgo the entire alarm/timer setup on Kal's design. They both have their own timers and alarms built in. The only reason to double down with a 22m buzzer is if you need to hear it from farther away.

I'll reiterate for emphasis, the EZboil is in another league compared to an Auber PID or Omron. Don't mistake it for just another sort-of PID looking 16th DIN.

Even further, if you really want to add temp monitoring function to say the mid mash tun or the HERMs return, you can use the Auber https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=618 which is a single 16th DIN unit with two temps/two probe inputs. Kal does this with a PID to nowhere but it's only going to be one temp.

Thanks for the input guys, I've been spending most of the day on Auber's website. After much consideration I've decided to go with the EZ boils. Mainly because two of the most respected users on here recommended them. But also because they seem to have so many features built in. My original intention was to build Kal's controller, but I came across the Brew Buddy box on the Auber's website. Smaller size and has all the features I need. I will probably order their DIY kit and build it myself. I really like the Din rails and it seems like a cleaner option for wiring. @Bobby_M I've been making a list from your website for all the electrical elements and triclover fittings. I'll be getting that order in soon. I will also be ordering the Steam Slayer since I'll be brewing in my garage and don't feel like making holes for a vent system.

Thanks again for your input guys. Can't wait to convert to electric.

Back