Picture of Secondary, is anything wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KWright_VT

Reaction score
This is a picture of my first brew in the secondary fermenter. I transferred it after two days consecutive FG readings of 1.012 which is right on target. I wasn't worried at first, since there was some starsan foam on top after sanitizing, so I thought this was just some left over foam, but it seems to be spotting a little in other places, and almost looks like a mini-krausen. I've heard sometimes the yeast would flare back up after a transfer, was wondering if that's what this was. Is this OK, or does it look like a problem. It's been here for almost a week, 61 degrees, and covered and out of light.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421371777.378452.jpg

Nope. It's not right at all. To quote someone else here, you need to dispose of that. You can send it to me for proper disposal. :cross:

It's fine, and yes, the yeast can start back up if it stalled. (So I have read.)

Two things... If you transfer too early (a secondary is not really necessary, but another story) fermentation will finish in secondary. Often people think they have more fermentation but it might just be co2 coming out of solution due to the disturbance, or atmospheric or temperature changes etc. It is usually nothing to worry about.

Thanks, I keep trying to relax, but I am not a patient person, and I tend to worry too much. Brew day for my first AG brew is Monday, and I wanted to head into it confident. The beer tasted great when I checked it before racking. I'll get another carbon soon so I don't have to rack to secondary to take some worry out.

It is settling out nicely, but it looks like I also have some yeast floaties in there still. I'll leave it for another week or more to settle completely before bottling.

And I appreciate the disposal offers, you guys are just too generous!

Hopefully with a couple of successes, and some homebrews to relax with, my therapy will be easier. I'm actually thinking about starting some smaller batches just to play with recipes and experimentation. Then I'll have some at all stages and my ADHD will be more satisfied!

You think it's nerve racking now? Try meads. :p

That's actually where I started. Beer has more little things going on, but the results are generally faster.

It's just a little krausen. The beer is either off-gassing from the transfer or just stirred up a lil bit of fermentation. Looks perfectly fine, textbook in fact.

Thanks, I keep trying to relax, but I am not a patient person, and I tend to worry too much.

The more I brew, the more it seems to me that, next to sanitization, patience is the most important thing in a brewer's toolkit. :mug:

Back