PicoBrew Zymatic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Trevor Mack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You can use a forked version of BrewCrafter2 that I host over at crafter.pilotbatchbrewing.com which has SRM, starting water, and IBU calculations for the Picobrew devices baked in.

I will operate this solution as long as people find value out of it. So far has cost me $0 (outside of my time which obvious is worthless to me) and if it were to cost me operating cost I would not charge a fee, but only request donations. All features and functionalities I add will forever be free for all users.

Trevor Mack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can't argue with that, I'll check it out.
Forgot to mention there is even an undocumented sync feature to sync to the chiefwigms server. All the syncing to the server is handled client side so requires ssl termination (same that is required for Z devices and included in an nginx config of the RaspberryPi image, nginx config is in the GitHub repo). This will allow you to create or upload the beerXML to BrewCrafter and then use BrewCrafter to sync to the RaspberryPi for brewing steps. At this point the upload functionality simply selects a base recipe step vs reading the beerxml to select mash temp, time, etc... Hop "boil" times are customized based on the incoming beerXML however.

mudlark

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Cool, I'll have to see if I have that set up right on my local server which did not use a pi image. I did a git pull and set up a startup service to execute the server python script, but I didn't dig very far into the guts of it. I don't think the Zymatic requires SSL termination right? I'll figure it out. I'm poking around the site now and it looks very useful. I'll try it out and let you know. Thanks!

Trevor Mack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Right the Zymatic doesn't use ssl. This was a user security issue that the community reported to Picobrew as any attacker could essentially locally or broadly hijack the connection between the appliance and picobrew.com ... Well PB engineers essentially just added https://picobrew.com without actually validating the SSL certificate 🤦‍♂️. Thankfully they didn't cause then that would make our MITM (man in the middle) attack less successful / more difficult to pull off.

Anyways PM or post here any questions or issues that might come up. There is a bit of help documentation in the site that should help you get started.

Mike Howard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@adguyer Error #1 and #3 are both temperature related. Not sure about #19, first time I've heard that one, although error #17 is also temperature related. Either way, I PM'd you.

tjikijiki

Reaction score
I’m following the instructions in the Homebrewing Japan pdf. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the drip tray. I’ve removed the screws and heated it with a hair dryer to try to soften what it describes a silicone caulk. This thing isn’t releasing and I can’t even get an exacto (much less a screwdriver) between the metal and plastic drip tray. I’m afraid to put any more force or torque on the tray itself. Any other suggestions? Also, is there any other document I should be following to try to get this Zymatic back to life? I had so many Error -1 that I’d given up until a friend found this pdf.

Mike Howard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m following the instructions in the Homebrewing Japan pdf. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the drip tray. I’ve removed the screws and heated it with a hair dryer to try to soften what it describes a silicone caulk. This thing isn’t releasing and I can’t even get an exacto (much less a screwdriver) between the metal and plastic drip tray. I’m afraid to put any more force or torque on the tray itself. Any other suggestions? Also, is there any other document I should be following to try to get this Zymatic back to life? I had so many Error -1 that I’d given up until a friend found this pdf.
Yes, you shouldn't be using that version of the document. In fact, it shouldn't even be posted online. I've asked him to remove it, but I get no response.

Anyway, I'm the original creator of the document and I'ved PM'd you...

Mike Howard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@tjikijiki your mail went to my junk folder...that's a first for a direct email....weird

The front drip tray is secured by silicone, you'll need to slip a razor blade under it to cut it loose, then pry it away from the frame.

tjikijiki

Reaction score
That did the trick. I was really worried that if I put too much torque on the drip tray, I’d break it, but couldn’t get under it with a razor blade UNTIL I put some torque on it. Thanks!

edogbert

Reaction score
I just received a zymatic and was running into the #1 error (Still am.) but I am the type the takes things apart first and asks questions later. It was a great learning experience on the construction of these machines. I'm honestly am not impressed, but I see a lot of potential in it. I look forward to see all the updates everyone has done to theirs, and happy to add my own. @Mike Howard if you could be so kind can you please send the info on the error, I would be extremely thankful. But I am not looking forward to breaking this thing down again.