Picnic v/s Tower tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew1221

Reaction score
so, i am going to build my first kegerator, but was thinking of trying to save a few bucks by using a picnic tap, instead of a tower tap like i would like to have. i cannot find any information online, so hopefully someone here will know the answer to my question, Can I build a kegerator with a picnic tap and then convert to a tower tap? and, is it worth it or is it better for me just to go ahead and drop the few extra bucks and build the tower kegerator?

Sure you can.

I used a picnic tap for a couple of years just fine. It's a minor inconvenience to open the fridge every time but you get used it. Certainly nothing wrong with it.

My wife bought a tower a few years ago for my birthday. It's pretty easy to add it if you are willing to drill a few holes in the fridge.

nothing wrong with picnic taps. i still use them in my 1 tap tower kegerator so i can have 2 more cornies on tap, til i can save up for a few more perlicks. but the downside is that instead of spilling a little beer in the drip tray, you are spilling it inside your fridge.

nothing wrong with picnic taps. i still use them in my 1 tap tower kegerator so i can have 2 more cornies on tap, til i can save up for a few more perlicks. but the downside is that instead of spilling a little beer in the drip tray, you are spilling it inside your fridge.

I solved this problem with a plastic beer cup (like you used in college) and a short piece of double sided velcro. I cut a slot in the cup near the rim and threaded the velcro through it, and then wrapped it around the keg handle. Picnic tap goes in the cup between uses - catches the drips nicely. :mug:

...I am SO cheap! :ban:

Hi

Each time you want a beer, you open the fridge. In comes hot wet air. You may not be saving as much money as you think. Doubly true if you then buy a dehumidifier to go in the fridge. (shank at $13, faucet at $12 vs dehumidifier at $21).

Bob

Hi

Each time you want a beer, you open the fridge. In comes hot wet air. You may not be saving as much money as you think. Doubly true if you then buy a dehumidifier to go in the fridge. (shank at $13, faucet at $12 vs dehumidifier at $21).

Bob

You talking fridge or Freezer? Fridges are made to be opened. I don't have this problem in mine and my fridge is in the garage.

To the OP. I have picnic taps and would love to have perlicks, but its not in the budget right now. I made the decision to have more kegs and use picnic taps than have less taps and a nice faucet....over time you can upgrade :)

carlisle_bob said:
Hi

Bob

Was never an issue for me. Maybe if you keep the fridge outside in the hot ass summer. But most folks keep them indoors.

You talking fridge or Freezer? Fridges are made to be opened. I don't have this problem in mine and my fridge is in the garage.

To the OP. I have picnic taps and would love to have perlicks, but its not in the budget right now. I made the decision to have more kegs and use picnic taps than have less taps and a nice faucet....over time you can upgrade :)

Hi

If you have an expensive fridge (as in one that self defrosts) it won't be a problem. The cheap fridges I buy don't come with that "feature".

Bob

Hi

If you have an expensive fridge (as in one that self defrosts) it won't be a problem. The cheap fridges I buy don't come with that "feature".

Bob

Got ya, that makes sense. I got my extra free for "Cheap" ($20 on craigslist) but it is a really nice fridgeaire that was only a few years old and probably worth hundreds if not a thousand new

Latest posts

Back