Picnic Tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
While waiting to get my 3rd tap, I figured I would use a picnic tap.
I have Bevlex 2003/16" liquid line that's a little over 5' in length.
PSI is 12. When I go to pour a pint using the picnic tap, it has alot of pressure and alot of foam.
I've left the picnic tap in my keezer for 3 days before hooking up and trying it out.
Think the line is too short/long? I thought most people use 5' for picnic taps.

I'm about to order to EVA Barrier tubing as I eventually want to replace the Bev Seal Ultra tubing I currently use. Think EVA Barrier would be better than the Bevlex 200?

I will turn my serving pressure down very low for when I use my picnic tap. I start near 3-5 PSI (and bleed excess pressure from keg after lowering PSI) and will increase from there if I'm feeling impatient with my pours. 5 ft lines for mine as well

5' of 3/16" ID is too short for 12 psi at your keezer's temp.

EVA Barrier is much better than Bevlex 200, there is a recent thread on that.
Use the EVA line with Duotight or John Guest push fittings.

Not sure what the best method is to attach a picnic tap to EVA line, which would be great for ad hoc, on location serving. Maybe with the right size coupler (union) to a short piece of Bevlex 200 that goes over the picnic tap's barb.

I will turn my serving pressure down very low for when I use my picnic tap. I start near 3-5 PSI (and bleed excess pressure from keg after lowering PSI) and will increase from there if I'm feeling impatient with my pours. 5 ft lines for mine as well

But you lose carbonation that way...

Well this is really two separate questions.

One, yes, EVA barrier tubing is worlds better than anything else out there now.

Second issue is the picnic tap. Yes, 5 ft is pretty standard, but that's based on the usual use, at a picnic (or fraternity kegger) at fairly low pressure from a hand pump, basically letting the beer dispense by its own gas . At 12 psi, you need more restriction, meaning a longer line, about 10.5 feet of 3/16 in fact. You would need a much shorter line with the EVA barrier tubing, which provides more restriction because of its smaller inside diameter, but I'm not sure how to connect it to a regular cobra type picnic tap. But I'll assume that by the time you get the tubing, you'll have your third tap and this will be a moot point. For now if you could hook up a longer Bevlex line you should be good in the meantime.

I just wanted to use it for a few weeks. The ID of the 3/16" is already small, much smaller than the Bev Seal Ultra I'm using for my two taps. I definitely don't want to lose any carbonation, or waste co2 by reducing serving pressure and purging of the excess.
Guess I'll just have to order the 3rd tap and be done with it.

While waiting to get my 3rd tap, I figured I would use a picnic tap.
I have Bevlex 2003/16" liquid line that's a little over 5' in length.
PSI is 12. When I go to pour a pint using the picnic tap, it has alot of pressure and alot of foam.
I've left the picnic tap in my keezer for 3 days before hooking up and trying it out.
Think the line is too short/long? I thought most people use 5' for picnic taps.

I'm about to order to EVA Barrier tubing as I eventually want to replace the Bev Seal Ultra tubing I currently use. Think EVA Barrier would be better than the Bevlex 200?

5ft is a standard length for picnic taps using vinyl tubing, I've used it for years at 11-12psi. But Bevlex and other similar lines have much less resistance per foot than vinyl tubing, so you'll need more line length than that.

5ft is a standard length for picnic taps using vinyl tubing, I've used it for years at 11-12psi. But Bevlex and other similar lines have much less resistance per foot than vinyl tubing, so you'll need more line length than that.
Bevlex is standard vinyl tubing.

Back