Picnic tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shizog4

Reaction score
Hey all,

Been busy lately and haven't brewer in a while. I have been wanting to keg because I know it's easier and quicker, which I hope gets me brewing more with the time saved. I have been looking into getting a picnic tap for my first keg (pin lock) and was wondering if anybody had issues long term. I suspect with just me drinking a keg would last me two to three weeks and with my SWMBO maybe two. Will the beer stay fresh in the period?

The picnic will last a while. I've used my picnic one off and on for years. Finally upgrading to big boy taps.

Beer stays fresh if you take proper cleaning and sanitizing steps. Keep it cold and keep it under co2. Should stay good a minimum of 6 months.. I've never had a keg live that long though.

Awesome thank you

I have a 4 keg set up in an old fridge. Used picnic taps for a couple years. They worked great. I did have one break/wear out and I had another leak when I cranked pressure up to 40 psi. The other thing you have to do to avoid foam besides have enough line is completely open the picnic tap when pouring. If you open it half way, you'll get foam!

Just ordered some taps the other day!

I use them now, the only issues i have had are leaking, every single one has leaked, even after I sanded the ends down to help seal, and one got some kind of infection in the serving end, like moss like :( but that beer had been in the kegerator awhile...

Maybe it's way overkill, but I attach my picnic taps only while drinking, then wash them and sanitize before the next use. Never had a leak, gotta clean gunk off them once in awhile, but no biggie.

Good stuff. I plan to start my kegging with the one picnic then maybe add a dual regulator/pic nic tap until I can convert my large chest freezer over

if the keg is in the fridge, just leave the picnic tap in there, this is fine. things to remember:

put the tap on top of the keg, or someplace where the door will NOT hit it and open the tap, causing you do lose precious beer.

3 weeks of 1 person drinking a 5 gallon keg is 2.4766190476190476 beers a day. But never fear, even if you have the one glass of beer for health a day, if you keep it cold, it will taste just as good or better on the 52nd day..!

get a good thermometer and keep it at 40 degrees, well, I keep mine there (38-41), would not recommend going colder...

Back