Picnic tap with 1/4 flare threaded connection???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentbud

Reaction score
Since alot of the ball/pin lock disconnects come with 1/4 flare connection so you can easily unscrew them from the beer line for cleaning and whatnot, why don't they do the same for the picnic tap end of the line? I have searched but have not found any picnic taps with a threaded connection. Is there such an animal?

Just speculation but it's easier to clean an attached picnic tap vs an attached (barbed) disconnect because the line is straight for the picnic tap, from the screw cap to the line vs the 90 to the line in the disconnect. I can get a long brush down the line through the picnic tap. The flare fittings are also useful on the disconnects if you have a mix of ball and pin locks. I much prefer the flare fitting disconnects myself in general but others are perfectly OK with the barbed ones.

You could get a barbed by 1/4 male flare coupling if you wanted but you would also need another female flare to barb fitting on the tubing and that might cost you up to $10 for the two extras. Plus two clamps more.

I was thinking about changing to the EVABarrier hose and duotight fittings. I ordered a few pieces to see what the fuss was about. Using the 4mm ID / 8mm OD hose, they make a duotight adapter (hose to 1/4 flare) to screw on the ball lock disconnect on one end. But on the other end I cannot find much to connect a picnic tap to the hose. They make a special picnic tap that connects to a duotight fitting but the reviews I have read say they leak. Was just hoping for a tap that threaded on like the post disconnects do.

Back