Pickled Sausage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've doing the pickled egg thing for a bit. Pickled Eggs

I wanted to venture out into the pickled sausage realm now.

Been thinking about making somethin' hot. Here's my ideas (using the egg brine)
  • Pickled - Red Hots "BAR-S Brand" with hot peppers & onion, garlic
  • Pickled - Smoke sausage "Hillshire Farms" with hot pepper flakes.
    • Baked, then brined
  • Pickled - Breakfast Sausage in a meatball form. Hot Jimmy Dean
    • Requires balling and baking 1st.
  • Pickled - Kielbasa with Eggs. Baked Kielbasa, Eggs like above.
Chime in tell me what your thoughts are on this. I'm gonna assume you have at least tried pickled sausage before.

This is along with eggs seems to be awesome druck-beer-food! :drunk:

FYI - Tomorrows gas will not good for SWMBO. :D

When I lived in MI years ago, we used to buy pickled (ring) bologna. That stuff was great.

When I lived in MI years ago, we used to buy pickled (ring) bologna. That stuff was great.

Was it the Holland Dutch stuff? I have access to fresh Pella-Dutch Bologna. That would be awesome too. I eat it like crazy, half a link in one night.

Was it the Holland Dutch stuff? I have access to fresh Pella-Dutch Bologna. That would be awesome too. I eat it like crazy, half a link in one night.

I honestly do not know. Haven't had it in something like 20 years. When my parents go back to MI to visit family they usually pick some up, but it doesn't make it to me.

I have never been able to find it on the west coast.

I dun did it... :D

Layers of Smoked Hillshire Sausage, Onion, Jalapeno, Garlic.

Pickle_Sausage_001.jpg

My IPA + Addition of the Egg Brine + Pepper Corns + Red Pepper Flakes - Recipe for Egg Brine see post #3. Its down below too.

Pickle_Sausage_005.jpg

Close Up!

Pickle_Sausage_006.jpg

The Recipe

The brine gets boiled and cooled slightly. Then layer, sausage, onions, jalapenos, garlic (2-layers) in a large gallon size jar. Then pour the slightly cooled brine over the pickling ingredients.

Brine Ingredients
  • 8 cups vinegar
  • 4 cups water
  • 4 tablespoons of pickling spices
  • 4 tablespoons of pickling salt
  • 2 tablespoons of red pepper flakes
  • 2 tablespoons of black peppercorn balls
Pickling Items
  • 1 teaspoon of minced garlic (add in 1/2tsp qty, 2X)
  • 2 Hillshire Farms Smoked Sausage Links (Sliced about 3/4") (Sausage must say they are pre-cooked)
  • 2 Onions (Sliced Thin)
  • 5 Jalapenos (sliced thin)
That's it...

Note: If you find a uncooked sausage that you want to use I would recommend baking for 60 minutes @ 350F. Then blanch the sausage chunks to remove residual grease. Otherwise you'll have a good amount of floating grease.

I perused the internet, most of the recipes say 1 or 2 days. I will taste at both days!!!

I will post the recipe in its entirety shortly. Need to taste first!

I'm trying to find Ghost Chillies around here to do pickled hot cauliflower. Delicious stuff.

Well, here is my report with almost 24 hrs in the brine.

The pickling effect is no doubt hot.

Sausage at this moment has been slow to take in the heat, but its there. The onions are pretty fiery and the peppers, well they are what they are, hot.

So far, so good. I am pleased. It goes good with an IPA so as to draw down the heat a bit.

Big Sky IPA! :rockin:

Pickled_Sausage.jpg

Just did it in a mason jar and vacu-sealed it.
Hoping that makes them ready for tomorrow night./

Used dried Jalapenos from the garden, just re-hydrated them in the pickling liquid.

Oh and I love pickled sausage, eggs, pigs feet, beets etc, etc

I left the empty plate out this afternoon...

...it was teasing me all afternoon. I was weak and broke down at about 5:13PM - I had to grab another scoop of pickled goodness.

And of course another beer to go with them.:)

I made mine for Easter today. We are having a bunch of people over for our traditional Polish Easter dinner. I think it will be a big hit! I added some carrots because I love those spicy carrots at the Mexican restaurants! Now I am making some Krupnik...

I made mine for Easter today. We are having a bunch of people over for our traditional Polish Easter dinner. I think it will be a big hit! I added some carrots because I love those spicy carrots at the Mexican restaurants! Now I am making some Krupnik...

Ray, you are speaking my language now - kielbasa (smoked and fresh) with fresh grated horseradish, hard crust rye bread, pickled eggs, zurek, and of course, some zubrovka.

Ray, you are speaking my language now - kielbasa (smoked and fresh) with fresh grated horseradish, hard crust rye bread, pickled eggs, zurek, and of course, some zubrovka.

I saw when searched for recipes I noticed that kielbasa was a very common sausage choice. Those recipes omitted the peppers an added brown sugar.

Either way a fresh pickled sausage with a beer is the bomb.:rockin:

Mom is making borsch....

Well, I mixed it up and changed the traditional menu. I stuffed the smoked kielbasa with sauerkraut and Polish mushrooms (boletus edulus) and wrapped them with bacon to hold everything together. I grilled them over hardwood coal and indirect heat. What a hit! I didn't do the borsht since I didn't boil the sausage. I also found a recipe for mizeria that was great. My Polish next door neighbor is from Scranton, PA.

I don't know about the pickled kielbasa...I think I like it better not pickled.

I don't know about the pickled kielbasa...I think I like it better not pickled.

I don't see this as something pair with other foods. I liken it to same caliber as pickled eggs. Its meant to be ate during a drinking session. Classic Beerfood. Gets chowed on more as you get fubar. A drunken delicacy. :D

Maybe a dumb question but after you put this together, do you refrigerate it? I've never pickled anything before but my gut says to refrigerate.

I did for mine. Mainly, because of the meat. I imagine its pretty safe unrefrigerated for awhile if the food is covered with the brine.

I'd rather keep it cold for eating anyhow.

Just threw some eggs AND sausage together. Got a camping trip this weekend, can't wait to pass this around. :ban:

pickled goodness.jpg

When I bought this to my club meeting they all talked about pickled eggs. Sausage an Eggs are a good combo. Eggs and sausage aren't just for breakfast anymore...

I will do this combo next. :rockin:

Let me know how these go over. A lot of first timers are pleasantly surprised on how good these taste.

Made some this past Sunday morning.

Baked 3lbs sausage (one pound went for breakfast) in the oven until it was brown.
Added a dried cayenne and 4-5 dried jalapenos (from the garden)
1 part White Vinegar, 1 part Cider vinegar , 1 part water, red pepper flakes, pickling spice, onions and whole black pepper

Should be good at the turkey hunting lodge Sunday night

Ok, I realized I had a giant brain fart last night and was throwing this stuff together too quickly. I did not actually cook/bake the sausage before I threw it into the container.

Now, I know that the smoked sausage I used (Hillshire Farms) is already cooked, so there shouldn't be any danger here, right?

Ok, I realized I had a giant brain fart last night and was throwing this stuff together too quickly. I did not actually cook/bake the sausage before I threw it into the container.

Now, I know that the smoked sausage I used (Hillshire Farms) is already cooked, so there shouldn't be any danger here, right?

You are 100% correct. I used the same brand. You are good to go.

I'm gonna go fix the recipe to call this out so people aren't eating raw pork sausage. :cross:

If somebody did do the raw sausage they would need to bake and blanch the sausage. Blanching is just to remove the residual grease from baking.

Yeah, you can eat hillshire farms, smithfield sausages "raw" as they are already smoke cured.
I think it tastes better when its baked/grilled though

Markets usually do a good job of keeping them in a seperate part of the display away from the stuff that needs cooking
GENERALLY
If its sitting in a foam and saran wrapped container...... COOK IT

Baked until the skin bursts at 400
Tip them up in the pan so all the fat runs out and then pickled them up.

The waiting is killin me!

I have dried jalapenos out of last years harvest that work GREAT for this.
Definately going to hard boil some eggs and throw those into the mix, good thinking. Camping this weekend too

Made some this past Sunday morning.

Baked 3lbs sausage (one pound went for breakfast) in the oven until it was brown.
Added a dried cayenne and 4-5 dried jalapenos (from the garden)
1 part White Vinegar, 1 part Cider vinegar , 1 part water, red pepper flakes, pickling spice, onions and whole black pepper

Should be good at the turkey hunting lodge Sunday night

Babalu - How did your batch turn out for you?

Back