Pickled eggs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

hottpeper13

Reaction score
I made some jalapeno refrigerator pickles with the boiling brine pour over that turned out way better then expected( just the perfect heat).
One jar is almost gone with half a qt of brine left. I want to add hard boiled eggs and want every one to be the best it can be since only 6 or so will fit. My question is ,how long should they rest to be the best?

OP
OP
H

hottpeper13

Reaction score
I sampled one at 12 days and it was just a slight bit pickled and not as spicy as I want,so waiting a full month before next sample. I have one more qt of the pickles to finish so I can do another batch.

BrewerBrad82

Reaction score
Pickled egg salad sandwich? Count me in. @hottpeper13 I grew up just north of Mequon and pickled eggs (specifically Bay View) are extremely nostalgic. Of course @Yooper chimes in, this is a very upper-midwestern topic. I must make some soon.

Edit: There should also be a Kringle thread :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I do these all the time and find between 1 and 2 months to be about right for flavor. They will start to "DRY" and get rubbery but MAN are they good on salads!
If you are feeling that they need a little more heat or flavor I just dump a little of the brine out and add new.
Don't hesitate to add whole garlic cloves and carrot slices. BOOM! All are amazing on a salad or just as a snack and SUPER healthy!

Cheers
Jay

davidabcd

Detroit, Mi.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I love eggs. Hard-boiled and on down.
I've never had pickled. If there's a tried and true recipe (I hate guessing at recipes on Google) that someone could share, I'd appreciate it.
I have no idea if I'd like them but I could start off small.

Brew_Dude41

Chaos coordinator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My wife did some 'cowboy candy' this year and I have a few pints of the brine / syrup from boiling the jalapeños that I have been looking for a use for.

I might just try an egg or 3 and see how it turns out. If nothing else they should make some kicking deviled eggs.

Reaction score
I love eggs. Hard-boiled and on down.
I've never had pickled. If there's a tried and true recipe (I hate guessing at recipes on Google) that someone could share, I'd appreciate it.
I have no idea if I'd like them but I could start off small.
Me too. Just boiled up a dozen leftover eggs yesterday, this would be a perfect use for them.

Brew_Dude41

Chaos coordinator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My mother did pickled eggs with beets.
If I remember correctly it was 1 can sliced beets, 1/2 cup vinegar, half a white onion sliced, and about 1/2 cup water to make sure it was all covered. I always added some sliced cloves garlic to mix as well.
I would layer some of the beets, onions, and garlic down, then 6 peeled eggs or so, mixing in some of the veggies in, topping off with the remaining beets/onions/ garlic. Pour the beet juice and vinegar topping off with enough water to cover it all.
Edit: I forgot the horseradish. I add about a tablespoon to it but may add less.

Last edited:

Eddy Monsoon

Reaction score
Add Beetroot and you've get a real conversation starter

1645142584900.png

OP
OP
H

hottpeper13

Reaction score
Love all the options! Gonna have to try a Scotch egg with some. The Scotch egg would be awesome with the beeted ones.

Reaction score
I made two batches of pickled eggs last night, one with Frank's hot sauce. Might make another batch of eggs and sausage with hot sauce. Sure hope I like pickled eggs!

Oldskewl

Reaction score
I love pickled eggs. Its been a while since I‘ve made any and was thinking about making a batch this week. I find they usually have good flavor in 1-2 weeks and they are usually all gone in a week or 2 after that. They do get a little hard/rubbery after a month or so total. My favorite 2 recipes are

Joe Jost’s pickled eggs

Buffalo Eggs

Brew_Dude41

Chaos coordinator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I just put 1/2 doz eggs in about 1.5 pints of the "cowboy candy" juice with a few slices of jalapeños that were frozen from the garden.
20220220_101521.jpg

I am going to see where these are at after a week.
Hopefully they don't get too hot that fast, but we shall see...

Last edited:

Brew_Dude41

Chaos coordinator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Grabbed one of the eggs that are soaking in the "cowboy candy juice" today, and I quite disappointed.
Not much heat at all.
They have a good flavor, but no heat. They are a very solid yellow color, but color is not penetrating into the egg very far at all. There is quite a bit of sweet, and I can taste the pepper to it, but no heat. The texture is also very firm. Not rubbery but very firm.
I feel that the sugar content of the liquid is playing into all of this, so I am not sure if there will be a whole lot of change in these, but I will give them another week and see if they get any hotter.