picking between LALVIN ICV-D47 and Mangrove Jack' M02

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

mabbas

Reaction score
Hello there, I am completely a beginner at this, and I am about to make 23L of apple juice into a hard cider; I got everything, but the only available yeast around here are LALVIN ICV-D47 and Mangrove Jack's M02.
I am afraid to use the M02 and end up with the yeast dead at the bottling stage. When I prime the bottles for carbonation, the yeast would be long dead due to the alcohol level; as far as I understood from the information on the internet that M02 has a low tolerance for ABU but ends with a semi-sweet excellent apple flavor.
Also, I have a 10g pack. It says good for 20L. Would 23L be a problem for the same amount of yeast?
Would you please give a piece of advice to a total newbie?
Many thanks.

Maylar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
M02 is good up to about 12% ABV, which is twice the normal alcohol for cider. Most of us use an ale yeast for cider, they tend to leave more apple flavor than a wine yeast.
One packet of either of those will handle 6 gallons easily.

OP
OP
M

mabbas

Reaction score
M02 is good up to about 12% ABV, which is twice the normal alcohol for cider. Most of us use an ale yeast for cider, they tend to leave more apple flavor than a wine yeast.
One packet of either of those will handle 6 gallons easily.
do you have any recommendations for yeast? must be dry powder yeast.

DaveC73

Reaction score
I've used M02 and always had good results.

I typically start with an SG of 1.060 and end around 0.998, giving an ABV of about 8%. I bottle condition everything, priming with 1oz/gallon of sugar and have never had a problem where a bottle fails to carbonate.

I just bottled my first batch using D47, but haven't drank any yet to can't offer an opinion on what it tastes like.

Latest posts