Picked up wort from Bell's for competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LymanBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up the wort for the 4th Annual Homebrewing Competition.

Line for sign-in was long! Need to get here earlier next year.

ForumRunner_20130914_160316.jpg

Got it home and it clicks on at 1.048(ish) on my hydrometer pre-boil, and about 15 SRM.

ForumRunner_20130914_160512.png

Good luck to all that entered!

Happy brewing!

Yeah, they sure did!

They supplied unhopped, minimally boiled 100% Pale Malt. You could do anything you wanted to it, but have to be able to reproduce it as the winner will go on tap on the Eccentric Cafe.

That's gotta be the coolest idea ever for a brewing contest.

no joke! start off with a base wort & play from there! good luck on the comp, Smoke!:rockin:

A brewery did something similar here one time. The 3 weeks (2 ferment, 1 in bottle) seemed to be too quick of a turnaround as most of the bottles seemed undercarbed and highly cloudy, but you couldn't tell until you opened it that someone waited until the last day to bottle.

A couple months back Boulevard did the same thing, a way cool idea for a homebrew competition!

... but you couldn't tell until you opened it that someone waited until the last day to bottle.

Speaking of...

This is my first time bottling for a competition. I keg my beers or let them naturally carb in the bottle. Turn in day is 42 days from the start of the competition; which is plenty of time for brewing, fermenting, dry-hopping, and kegging.

I would like to push this out to about 33 days before I keg. Leave in the keg under pressure for a week (40 days) and bottle on that day.

How many days in advance should I bottle from pulling off my keg? I take it waiting until the last day is not advised, but is 2 days ahead of time OK?

So could you add more wort to it? Like you brew a stout then add it to this wort? Or you can only add hops yeast and other stuff like fruit?

So could you add more wort to it? Like you brew a stout then add it to this wort? Or you can only add hops yeast and other stuff like fruit?

I wasn't able to get down there this year but I have entered the past couple of years and I did a partial mash to add 3 gallons of wort to the 5 they have given you. I would then boil off to my ending volume of ~6 gallons. This is well with in the rules as you just need to use the 5 gallons of 2 row as a base. Fun way to do a competition. It really makes you think about what you're going to add and how your going to go about it. Really have to keep good notes though since they'll have to replicate it at the cafe.

Speaking of...

This is my first time bottling for a competition. I keg my beers or let them naturally carb in the bottle. Turn in day is 42 days from the start of the competition; which is plenty of time for brewing, fermenting, dry-hopping, and kegging.

I would like to push this out to about 33 days before I keg. Leave in the keg under pressure for a week (40 days) and bottle on that day.

How many days in advance should I bottle from pulling off my keg? I take it waiting until the last day is not advised, but is 2 days ahead of time OK?

Bump

Why would it matter how many days it's in the bottle if your bottling from a keg? Have you bottled from a keg before?

Why would it matter how many days it's in the bottle if your bottling from a keg? Have you bottled from a keg before?

Hah, no...I haven't. :confused:

My comment was referring to your earlier post that said:

...as most of the bottles seemed undercarbed and highly cloudy, but you couldn't tell until you opened it that someone waited until the last day to bottle.

I didn't know if you were talking about bottling from the keg, or talking about natural carbing in the bottle. It makes sense to me that it shouldn't matter when you bottle as long as your beer is properly carbed in the keg, but I just didn't know.

Those were bottle conditioned. Some people didn't follow the rules and bottled on the day they turned the beers back in. Kegged beer won't matter. Obviously your first couple pours are gonna have more sediment than later pours.

I would practice bottling a couple days out, how long does it usually take you to fully carb a keg? Sometimes it takes me more than a week. And bottling can be tricky.

Man, that line is a lot longer than the lines I saw a couple of years ago when I brewed some of their wort!
Yeah, last year I thought I was going to be smart and show up around 10:00 am. I wanted to be the one of the first in line so I wouldn't have to wait around too long and be able to get back home and brew. Many others had the same idea. Wonder what time the line started forming this year?

I almost participated in this for the first time (this is my first year brewing), but sorta forgot about. Been too busy fine tuning my tower of power :)

Are you here for the winner announcement and the all stout day deliciousness? Hope you win!

Congrats! That must have been you in the picture on Bell's Facebook page then!

Congrats! Do we need to start a HBT "trophy case" sticky? Just to document each time a member wins a competition?

Proud Mitten is now pouring at Bell's!

https://www.facebook.com/BellsEccentricCafe

It will likely be on tap for about a week. I hope some of you all will be able to try some (or had some at NHC).

Prost!

Where was this at the convention??

Not sure I can make it down there by the time it's gone. Darn it, if I had known, I would have driven down there this weekend for a taste! (I was in GR for the conference...)

Back