Photos of my new 5500 watt electric system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
After a couple of months of studying and planning, and then 2 weeks of build time, I am finally finished with my little system. I have to give thanks to Kal for taking the time to document the process so well that even us newbies can get into electric brewing. Also to P-J who provided lots of advice and invaluable schematics.

When I first started I thought this project was going be cheap, quick, and easy. I was wrong on all accounts. But to be fair, because of my ignorance and lack of patience I made it a lot more expensive, slower, and harder. With the lessons learned from this build I expect it to go a lot better next time. Now that I can get back to brewing again I am going to take my time and build a 3 kettle single controller system. AKA the Electric Brewery. I am probably just going to order the kit from Kal as chasing down all the parts was my least favorite part of the build.

And as I mentioned before, I think I may have set the record for the most expensive single kettle electric brew system ever. I tracked every penny I spent on this project except for gas (picking up parts) and my time. I spent a lot of extra money for the following reasons:

A) I bought locally because I didn't want to wait
B) I bought online from a single vendor because I was too lazy to place multiple orders
C) I bought the wrong parts
D) I bought to many items because I didn't know the correct quantity
E) I had to pay an electrician to install my sub-panel
F) I had almost none of the tools I needed

Here is a break down of my costs by category

Cost Description
$228.46 Tools
$97.84 Element Parts
$365.42 Controller Parts
$24.97 Tax
$47.00 Shipping & Handling
$560.00 Electrician

$1,323.69 Total

eb01.jpg

eb02.jpg

eb03.jpg

eb06.jpg

eb07.jpg

Looks good, I have been debating on whether to go with that enclosure or not. My in progress (some parts ordered) setup has one more contactor, an L14-30 and two L6-30 receptacles more than yours, so I am not sure if it will all fit in that little box. I would like it to though...

Was there a backplate built in? or did you just mount the contactor and SSR to the bottom...

HHP said:
Looks good, I have been debating on whether to go with that enclosure or not. My in progress (some parts ordered) setup has one more contactor, an L14-30 and two L6-30 receptacles more than yours, so I am not sure if it will all fit in that little box. I would like it to though...

Was there a backplate built in? or did you just mount the contactor and SSR to the bottom...

Mounted to the bottom. As you can see in the photos, there isn't much room left for anything else.

Back