Phosphoric Acid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm currently using Muriatic (Hydrochloric) acid to modify my water. It seems to work ok, but honestly, I'd like to get away from it because it's terribly dangerous to handle.

Where can I get some Phosphoric acid? I've looked online, but it doesn't seem to be readily available for the consumer. Does anyone have an links?

Yep, I get mine from AHS. Be sure to store it right side up as their bottles leak if stored on their side. I brew a lot at my local brewery so I have a tool box with a bunch of my brewing chemicals and I had it on its' side and it leaked out.

Just so you know not to store it on its' side...

I used an infant medicine hypo for my Hydrochloric. So far I haven't used the phosphoric because I have been using RO water since mine is treated with chloramine. I might pick up some Capmden tabs next time I'm at the supply shop and see how it works.

I'm currently using Muriatic (Hydrochloric) acid to modify my water. It seems to work ok, but honestly, I'd like to get away from it because it's terribly dangerous to handle.

Where can I get some Phosphoric acid? I've looked online, but it doesn't seem to be readily available for the consumer. Does anyone have an links?

Midwest Brewing has it: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/phosphoric-acid-4-oz.html

Also you can always stop at my house and get well water (bring your own containers). Going to get a shipment of grain today (working from home all week). Will be brewing Thursday or Friday or Saturday or Sunday interested?.... got to bottle the Pale Ale first (doing that this afternoon).

What do you guys use to dispense the phosphoric acid? I was thinking a pipette of some sort...?

If you buy the H3PO4 from AHS, it's pretty dilute at 10% so you can just pour it from your container into a measuring spoon. I almost never use more than a 1/4 tsp. You don't need a pipette unless you want to go dropwise in your additions.

Diluting high strength acid is always an option. That reduces the accuracy needed for the acid measurement and dosing. Always add the acid to the dilution water. For instance, you can cut the strength by half by adding a volume of acid to the same volume of distilled water or by one-quarter by adding a volume of acid to three volumes of distilled water. Bru'n Water accomodates any acid strength measure.

On the topic of phosphoric acid, John Palmer's "How To Brew" says:
"Phosphoric acid is not recommended, because it reacts chemically with calcium in the mash and changes the whole playing field,"

Anybody have thoughts/knowledge on this?

It's too late for me today, already added it!

On the topic of phosphoric acid, John Palmer's "How To Brew" says:
"Phosphoric acid is not recommended, because it reacts chemically with calcium in the mash and changes the whole playing field,"

Anybody have thoughts/knowledge on this?

It's too late for me today, already added it!

That premis has been debunked. Malt supplies more than 1% phosphate to wort. Adding hundredths of a percent more phosphate via phosphoric acid does not increase the precipitation of calcium phosphate. Its actually limited by the amount of calcium in the brewing water.

Add phosphoric acid at will. There is no reason not to use it and a lot of home and pro brewers use it every day.

Add phosphoric acid at will. There is no reason not to use it and a lot of home and pro brewers use it every day.

I am one of them, by the gallon for years:D
100_0316.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Back