Phos acid added 20 minutes late, but ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teesquar

Reaction score
So, I forgot to add my 85% phos acid until 20 minutes into the mash. Damn old age. The thing is, my preboil and OG readings ended up being right on. Additionally, the mash was some of the clearest I've ever seen on my Grainfather system.
I put the acid in and then immediately looked it up to see how badly I had screwed things up. Some said efficiency would suffer while others said it needed to be thoroughly mixed in before the mash. Unfortunately, I did not get a ph reading :-(
I'm figuring I still needed the acid, but maybe 20 minutes in wasn't so bad? My previous batches have been damn good so I'm a little confused. Either way, it'll be beer ... maybe that tweak I've been looking for :cool:

Czech Pilsner - 5 gallon batch
Grainfather system
Pilsner base
75% RO, 25% Cleveland water
Mash Made Easy latest version: Goal of 5.3 needed 4.6 ml 85% phos acid. Without, the ph would be 5.8

PXL_20201230_144025386.jpg

Last edited:
It should be okay. The main mash is at high wort gravity and that helps hinder tannin and silicate extraction from the grist. I don’t find that pH affects efficiency very much. The late addition did bring the ending wort pH closer to a desirable range.

Just a follow up. Kegged, crashed and cleared (gelatin).
All I can say is WOW. Turned out really good. Not quite an Urquell, but with my college-abused beer taste buds, close enough.
Rev locking my recipe.

Back