Philadelphia Beer Week starts this Friday!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontman

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to it since I missed it completely last year. Does anyone have a complete list of events and places to go?

The only one I have found so far is the Dock Street Brewery list of events.

I remember reading something about a mainline pub crawl but know nothing more about it.

Philly Beer Week 2009 * March 6 - 15

Woops. Posted before I fully read your post. Not sure if that link helps or not.

Weird. I have that link favorited but didn't look at it close enough. Yes, it does list all of the stuff that I was looking for. I am going to the thing on Friday night. That should be good.

I am also doing the Cicerone/BJCP styles training event at Dock Street on Tuesday. Birthday present to myself.

Edit: The Friday night event is looking great to me. I think I can pull off drinking 24 different beers in 2 1/2 hours.

On Sunday there is a homebrew swap and meet at Dock Street. 12-4

I'll be at the night session of the craft beer fest. I also got tickets to the Brett Pack dinner. Score! Other than that, I'll be hitting up events as I am able. Stone event, Founder's event, Southampton/Sly Fox firkin off. Gonna be a fun couple of weeks!

I'll be at the night session of the craft beer fest. I also got tickets to the Brett Pack dinner. Score! Other than that, I'll be hitting up events as I am able. Stone event, Founder's event, Southampton/Sly Fox firkin off. Gonna be a fun couple of weeks!

The more I look at all the stuff going on the more excited I get.

What is this "Stone Event" you mention? As in Stone Brewery? As in sampling Ruination, etc? If so I'm there.

Stone has a more than a few events during the week. I'm sure ruination will be available at some! The one I was thinking of was the one at good dog on the 14th. Also check out:

March 9 (a la carte beer dinner)
March 10 (beer dinner with brewers)
March 11 (stone aged - cellared stone brews)

And so on...check the website for more events and info.

The new philly weekly has a thorough guide as well.

I might be going tomorrow (Saturday). Not necessarily for official Philly beer week stuff, but the wife wants to go to the flower show (I don't) and I got a hankerin' for some Berliner Weiss. So, I'll probably hit Holt's and the Mahogany Room for a fine cigar (I think you can still smoke there), then Nodding Head and others.

I have to work all weekend. Tried to get someone to work for me on Sunday, but he said no :(. Sucks, cause a buddy of mine has a loft just north of center city, so I wouldn't even have to worry about driving. Guess I'll just have to make sure to hit up Kennett Brew Fest this fall!

I am back from the opening tap with a quick review. Taken individually the beers that were available tonight were very good. Ranging from excellent to subpar with the median being as I said, very good.

Here's the issue. You know how when you see fashion shows the clothes are outrageous and kind of over the top. Well, tonight everyone had their IIPAs or Belgian Strongs going. So your choices were either Hop Bomb or Banana Sundae. Like I said most were very good but after 20 IIPAs the hops got tiring and after 20 Belgians that yeast was staining to the palate.

My friend and I spent a lot of our time after the first hour searching for a nice pale ale.

One of the notable beers was Midas Touch from Dogfish. The first sip was like ambrosia. Absolutely delicious. The second sip was good. On the third and subsequent sips you really come to understand what an important contribution hops make to beer. The sweetness becomes all you notice. I don't think I could finish a full 12 oz one.

Weyerbacher Merry Monks was the best of show for Golden Strong. Flying Fish Exit 4 was a close second.

What was more notable was that there were a lot of duds in the bunch. No names on this score at all.

That said, it was wonderful to be able to sample so many beers side by side.

At the Philly Craft Beer Fest they had a big 'ole pile of citra hops on one of the tables. It dawned on me later that grabbing a bit for a batch would've been a good idea. Such a great tropical aroma, and alpha at 11%-13%

Latest posts

Back