phenolic lager yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ba-brewer

I'm not Zog, I'm Leroi
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone ever get phenolic aroma from a lager yeast, is it even possible?

I am building up a starter of WLP860 from a slant and I am getting a phenolic aroma(clove) from the second step. I have used this a yeast a few time but don't recall getting phenols.

Doing the starter at room temp(~70F) which does not seem too high for propagation to cause stress.

It was canned wort so I had to double check my notes, and it was tap water but I did add camden. My RO water does not completely remove chloramine so I started adding Camden to my RO water as well.

I did have a diastaticus wild yeast contamination a while back so I am a bit gun shy when I smell clove.

I'd assume you've got contamination somewhere, a lager yeast shouldn't be producing phenolics like that.

Anyone ever get phenolic aroma from a lager yeast, is it even possible?

I am building up a starter of WLP860 from a slant and I am getting a phenolic aroma(clove) from the second step. I have used this a yeast a few time but don't recall getting phenols.

Doing the starter at room temp(~70F) which does not seem too high for propagation to cause stress.

Had this with 3470, beer was infected. A tasty infection, though :D

Thanks for the comments.
I'd assume you've got contamination somewhere, a lager yeast shouldn't be producing phenolics like that.

That is my assumption too but thought I would ask any ways.

I put a airlock on the starter and will let it got for a couple weeks to see if it continues to attenuated the wort. I don't see any airlock activity and the majority of the yeast fell quickly leaving pretty clear beer, but today the top is looking a bit frosty. I took a small taste and I would say the beer is a little tart so maybe it is not the same thing that got me before.

Had this with 3470, beer was infected. A tasty infection, though :D
I have a near full keg of my last contaminated batch, even though it actually tastes fine (kind of a like clean saison) knowing that it is not the cream ale it was intended to be makes it hard to drink.

Back