Phenolic desirable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
This summer I had a botched batch of Alt. It had an overwhelming taste that others had deemed phenolic. I have since started filtering my water-as I thought this may have been from chlorine.

Before I started filtering, I brewed a dubbel with wlp500 that I've tried twice: once after one month in the bottle, and once after 2 months. The first sampling seemed quite banana-y, but seemed to be on it's way to being a quality Belgian. The second sampling seemed to have less banana-but more of that same phenolic taste. Still-overall it seemed better than the 1st sampling-even though it shares the same taste as the totally nasty Alt.

Maybe it just seems closer to what I consider a Belgian to taste like-but it's kind of fruity and phenolic, then some maltiness, then a warm dry finish. It was really pretty good-I put it down rather quickly. Am I just tricking myself into thinking I DIDN'T screw up two batches the same way...or are phenolics an acceptable part of a Belgian flavor profile?

The BJCP says "Rarely esters will include banana or apple. Spicy phenols and higher alcohols are common (may include light clove and spice, peppery, rose-like and/or perfumy notes). Spicy qualities can be moderate to very low" All of the style guidelines can be found here
www.bjcp.org/stylecenter.html

Back